Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #36: Alvin Grullon 7/31/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee:  Alvin Grullon

Photo courtesy of Alvin Grullon



Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who I knew as a former classmate during my early years as a Fine Arts major. Since then, this individual has gone from art and has transitioned into coding and computer programming which is pretty dope to witness! Without further ado, ladies and gents, bots and avatars, please welcome to the digital landscape, Alvin Grullon! 

Q0. Who are your inspirations?


AG: Currently, I'm still figuring out my inspiration but hoping one day I know who to look up to .... 


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?


AG: I got into art to find new meanings of life. I felt I needed to find myself and the way I express art that could take  up my time and put all of my energy to the work that would help me remember why I'm still alive today. And taking that one art class requirement in high school in 2011 I felt powerful, and learning to put all of my anger and sadness towards 
the creations I made and felt good inside me. 


Q2. When did you take your pursuits in art seriously?


AG: I started at LaGuardia Community College back in spring 2012. My major was music recording but I changed it quickly because  of the money I had to spend for a 9 months license that I wasn't going to get credit for a 4 year college. My sister was the one who I look up to
at the time seeing her being creative in fashion schools in Parson's. And so I wanted to be more creative and changed my major to fine arts back in  fall 2012. So I got into realistic portrait because it captures something permanent to me like a photograph. But after I was ready to transfer to Pratt I knew I wanted to study my use of technology with art. 


Q3. What drives you in your daily life? 


AG:  2015-16 I was not able to go to Pratt for their tuition price even scholarship offer was not enough and I did not want to graduate with a debt. I started to sink in a deep hole, so I decided to get a job in 2016. Working at a restaurant and having a bad relationship with food I gained almost 300 pounds and was pre diabetic by early 2018.  I quit my job and went to Dominican Republic for 5 months to get my health on track. After coming back home Sept 2018 I came back with 227 pounds but I still binge with food because my emotions was off for not finishing school. But one thing that motivated me was to sign up to college so I can be busy to graduate with a bachelor degree. 


     I decided to find a new creativity majoring in computer science at CUNY. Technology always fascinated me and this is my art. I also found something I enjoy playing with makeup and I like being my own canvas and becoming new characters. Computer Science is very addicting to me I love using my brain through figuring out problems. So I found two things that drive me coding and makeup. Recently I came upon the keto diet which helped me concentrate so much with my personal health goals and studies. Keto diet is consuming high fat low carb diet and it helps to stop the binge eating habit. 2019 is definitely the year I got my life on track. 


Q4. What made you the person that you are today? 


AG: Sometimes I don't get along well with my parents but they mean well, they raised me to know better for society, and be kind to others and not letting those take advantage of me. I can be fooled once but not the second time. I'm grateful for having my parents that helped me financially with school and living situation. But I want to see myself graduating from college so I can be financially stable and make myself and parents proud of my accomplishments. Every good parent wants their kids to be able to defend themselves independently. 


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


AG:  I would love to speak to Colton Haynes and how he dealt with his sexuality with coming out to his family. He was one of the reasons I opened up to someone who isn't close to me and I just let her know Im gay which felt empowering. and then I chose my second and third cousins and they loved me for who I am. But I don't feel the need to tell everyone because it isn't the right moment yet but one place I feel safe with my sexuality is at school only if its required to talk about myself but I don't care for judgements from strangers.  But family is who you see everyday and my time will come one day. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


AG:  I would be greatly honored to speak to Kevyn Aucoin. He can bring the beauty for women who don't find themselves beautiful that is a gift. He just brings out the beauty from within. I would love to know his favorite techniques and have some real talk about his family acceptance towards him and how he dealt with it. 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


AG:  I've been dying to go to South Korea for the people, the food, fashion, and finally how advanced the technology is. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear? 


AG: Getting old. 


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why? 


AG: I would choose immortality because life is too precious and I want to experience new changes in life. As we humans have one life to live. 


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people? 


AG: If they are confident with themselves and accept others who are different. 


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self? 


AG: Don't let people mold you to be, and just be the person you are meant to be. And don't be too guarded with others. Trust yourself and life is going to be okay. 


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you? 


AG: I'm ashamed that I'm not an active reader and would love to be. I tend to be a very visual person and love math, am I strange? But I guess I do read a lot of coding books and requirements for class. I will make time when fall semester will be over cause its going to be hell but I know I will be strong enough to handle these hardcore classes. Imagine physics based calculus and Calculus 2 Im excited but nervous at the same time. I guess physics would be fun to read for the time being. 


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ? 


AG: I would love a sequel for Call Me By Your Name it felt magical and real. The magical part was the honeymoon phase but when it's time for goodbye my tears come out. I just wonder if time passes by and if they ever meet again.


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are? 


AG: My cousin Nicole is someone who I trust dearly and reminds me to stay true to myself. 


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years? 


AG: Not living with my parents, traveling to new places. Found an amazing job that I would love to work or I started a business that Im passionate about. 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why? 


AG: Taylor Swift 1989 album is so timeless and captivates of being yourself by not holding back. Lana Del Rey Lust for Life album it really makes you just want to live and appreciate life. Troye Sivan single Dance To This duet with Ariana Grande because it's a bop. 


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why? 


AG: The best colors are washed out, neutral colors, and pastels because it's what looks best on me. 


Q19: What is your greatest weakness? 


AG: My weakness is when someone needs me I put them first before my needs.


Q20. What is your greatest strength?


AG:  I'm a great listener.

Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of? 


AG: Being healthy is what I'm proud of. 


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


AG:  Before I go to bed I listen to a sleep inducing hypnosis that helps organize and clear my thoughts from a long day. Hypnosis is a choice of meditation to just clear your mindset.


Q23. What is success to you? 

AG: Great question not being financially dependent on my parents and already living by myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment