Thursday, July 18, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #18: Rah Rah Mateo 7/18/19


Interviewer; Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Rah Rah Mateo


   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! For this installment I have a guest that is a fellow comic book buff, and a creative individual. I met him through other local artists/ rappers such as Carlovey Musicc, Jak Skelly, Js1N, and Highlife Cyf, in which I also met through Music/ Film Director Derrick M. Clarke, which I knew through mutual friends (Bianca and Tiana). Yet through the tunnel of connections, we always maintained mutual respect and genuine conversation about each others crafts. His music is inspired by various genres, and pop culture that most 90's kids grew up with throughout the early 2000's. Whether its Freddy Kruger, Halloween, Batman, Harlem, this guy will rap about it on an introspective level, while providing witty word play in his work. Ladies, and Bots of the Digital landscapes, allow me to introduce to you, Rah Rah Mateo!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?


RRM: Hip-Hop, Horror Movies, Comics & Skateboarding 


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably rap? 


RRM: Hot 97 mixtapes being sold in stores on Dyre Ave in the Bronx. I used to go there with my big brother and cousin. 


Q2. When did you take rap and recording seriously? 


RRM: When I was 13 and introduced to a in-home studio. 


Q2.1. How did your love for comics and horror movies influence your lyrics?


RRM: The concepts and morals speak to me artistically in a way not much else does. 


Q2.2. Your latest track, "Damzel in Depresh" talks about a variety of different themes. What was the overall theme that stuck out to you the most when writing and recording that particular track? 


RRM: I wanted it to speak to those who are familiar with depression. I wanted it to feel fun but understanding at the same time to let the listener know that you can still fight the good fight with your demons and come out victorious. 


Q2.3. What song was the most difficult to make and why? 


RRM: “Woman In Black” because I wanted every bar to have an impact for the listeners and I wanted to pay homage to women. 


Q2.4. Which song from your catalogue is your favorite to perform?


RRM: “Burning Desire” off of my ‘Red Hood’ album


Q2.5. in regards to the rap genre, what do you feel has changed since then? What do you think has been missing? And what is still present? 


RRM: Social media made everything much more accessible so the craft isn’t respected as much as it once was. A lot of people do it for attention, likes and millions of dollars without realizing this is an art that requires love and passion for it...at least in my opinion. 

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


RRM: The idea of me being able to do any of these things: 
Watch and create horror movies, watch and practice skateboarding & listen and create music. 


Q4. What made you the person that you are today? 
RRM: My relationship with my mother. It’s always been a strange one but a strong one that has given me much insight on life. 


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


 RRM: Ava DuVernay because her work in movies have been undisputedly inspirational and exciting. We would talk about black love, music, politics, books, life as a black woman or man and movies. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why? 


RRM: 2Pac because of how much he inspired me as a child. Getting a simple smile from him would assure me that I did right by him and my brothers. 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? 


RRM: A castle in Transylvania.


Q8. What is one thing that you fear? 


RRM: Jail time for being innocent.


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why? 


RRM: Teleportation, that would buy me a vast amount of time. 


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people? 


RRM: The way they greet me.


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self? 


RRM: Love everything about yourself because I’ll always be proud of you and you’ll always be the winner even when society disagrees. 


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you? 


RRM: “Love That Dog” by Sharon Creech, it’s the first book that ever made me cry and touch my soul on a personal level. 
“The Crow (Comic Series)” by James O’ Barr, it gave me a sense of security with being however I desire to be in life. 
“The Autobiography of Malcolm X” by Malcolm X, this book gave me hope and a deeper sense of purpose in life. 


Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ? 


RRM: Abby (1974) 


Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick? 


RRM: I would make a comic book about Siouxsie & The Banshees’ Juju album. The aesthetics and musical content speaks to me in a way where I can envision great stories for it. 


Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are? 


RRM: Prince would be that example for me. Everything he ever stood for, he stood proudly regardless of any consequences or harm he could get from it. 


Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years? 


RRM: Healthy and happy with anything I’m doing at the time. I don’t ask for much. 


Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


RRM: “Coke Wave 4” (Album) by French Montana & Max B because the tape is too amazing of a comeback, FREE MAX B.
“Cowboy Dan” (Single) by Modest Mouse because of the beastly energy it gives me and the lyrical content is aggressive. 
“Rock the Boat” (Single) by Aaliyah because it’s very soothing and comforting to play when I’m under the influence. 


Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why? 


RRM: Black because everything about the color is too irresistible to me. 


Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?


RRM: Never giving up on anything I felt passionate about


Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself? 


RRM: You’re the master of your own universe


You can follow and support his work over at:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rahrahmateo

No comments:

Post a Comment