Thursday, July 18, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #17: Dustan Vassar 7/18/19

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #17: Dustan Vassar  7/18/19

Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Dustan Vassar


   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Today I have guest who I've had the pleasure of witnessing his development on social media over the past 5 years. He is an illustrator, and a photographer. He is an artist that works in two mediums, a man that is two mediums in one and so much more. An army veteran, a student of life, and a resident of the sunny arcs of San Diego. Peers of the digital realm, allow me to introduce to you, Dustan Vassar!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?

DV: My drawings are inspired by the artist Alphonso Mucha who was an Art Nouveau artist. My graphic design work is inspired by Stepfan Sagmeister.

Q1. How did you get into art?

DV: I first got into art when I attended Coleman University and had to take a painting class. 

Q2. When did you take art seriously?

DV: I took art seriously when I had to take two drawing classes at Grossmont College.

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

DV:  I always try to be productive even when I'm chilling in the house. I'll sketch something or edit a photo. 

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

DV: My mom, military service and my time at San Diego State have made me the person that I am today. 


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

DV: I would speak to Stefan Sagmeister. He is one of the most well known graphic designers. I would talk to him about his style and the latest trends in graphic design. 

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

DV: Not any that i could think of. 

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

DV: I would definitely go to Bali. A lot of friends of mine went there and told me about how amazing it was. 

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

DV: I fear that I will fail. That's why I'm constantly drawing and working on my photography skills. You can never stop learning. 

Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

DV: I would definitely want to fly. So I could finish my errands in half the time and have the rest of the day to myself.

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

DV :Whether they shake my hand or give me a hug. 

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

DV: Stay away from credit cards and student loans.

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

DV: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and The Horse and His Boy. 

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

DV: I would definitely remake the last two episodes of Game Of Thrones. In my opinion those last two episodes destroyed the whole series for me. Also I would totally remake the Hunger Games movies. I feel that a lot of stuff was left out from the books. Especially in Mockingjay Part 2

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

DV: I would make a comic book about Deadmau5.

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

DV: My mom always encourages me to stay true to myself. 

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

DV: I want to be a successful small business owner in 5 years. 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

DV: "In Bloom", "Lithium" , and "Breed" by Nirvana. I love the lyrics!

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

DV: Blue speaks to me because it's calm and relaxing. Plus it's appealing to the eye. 

Q19.What's one thing that you're proud of?

DV:  Two things that I'm proud of is my military service and my bachelors degree. 

Q20. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

DV: My mantra is always forward, never backwards. Look to the future, not the past. 


You can follow his art on instagram. One is the art page: https://www.instagram.com/dustandraws/ 

The other page is his Photography content: https://www.instagram.com/dustanvassar/

For events, portfolio and upcoming projects you can check the website for more content: http://www.dustankvassar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment