Saturday, July 20, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #20: Clayton Brooks 7/20/19




Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Clayton Brooks


   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! I have a special guest for this interview today. I met this guy at a drawathon ( for those who are not art students or artists, a drawathon is a drawing marathon, kinda like a draw and sip event), and always admired his tenacity to go with the flow. It may not seem like it, but his ability to draw from life, while providing a style that was distinct to his own, providing viewers glimpses of New York City life, where souls wander aimlessly in the streets, minding their own, while others grovel asleep in their home made homes. I always felt that this artist had a lense that reflected the world around us in a manner that is both masterful and mundane. His ability to craft numerous gesture drawings and capturing the essence of the individuals that he draws is a feat in of itself. Ladies, Robots, Gents, allow me to introduce Clayton Brooks!

Q0. Who are your inspirations?


CB: Damn, like everyone haha. I love painters illustrators and architects. But I love animation, so I would say Bryan Konietzko, co creator of Avatar The Last Airbender, and Rebecca sugar, creator of Steven Universe.


Q1. How did you get into art?


CB: I always doodled in class, I dunno how I got into it, I just always drew I suppose.


Art by Clayton Brooks




Q2. When did you take art seriously?


CB: I remember, when I met Chris and AJ at Laguardia Community College drawing marathon. They were literally...and probably still the best there lol I had to talk to, and ask them questions. They really took the time to point out that I was a fanboy and not actually pursuing art seriously. and they told me that if I was to be a serious artist I had better start drawing everyday and actually practicing to do what I want. That must’ve been 2016.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


CB: Fear.


Art by Clayton Brooks


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


CB: My mother, my father, my investment in being a moral person, my second and third girlfriends, my friend Reggie.


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


CB: Arundhati Roy, author of The God of Small Things and Bryan Konietzko. I don’t think I have specific questions for them, I’d love to just hang out real regular. I’d like to see how they go about life and process information/ experiences.


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


CB: Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter. I loved him. I think I loved him. I’d just wanna emulate him. And sci fi writer Octavia Butler! I would want to work with her on making paintings for her wild shit. Eartha Kitt, boi, I would try to wife that up. Seriously.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


CB: Home.
Art by Clayton Brooks



Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


CB: My consistent state of mediocrity.


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


Art by Clayton Brooks


CB: To jettison my current passions for art, black and liberation, and an environmentally friendly lifestyle into my 10 year old self. Or to know every language ever and read super fast.


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


CB: I dunno, I think it’s always different.


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


CB: “Draw, nigga draw!”

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


CB:  The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Fucking Poetic narratives glory that takes you down some childhood events of these Indian twins. Watchmen, I love Rorschach. But also I didn’t read the novel sections within the graphic, so I actually should finish itMarlfox by Brian Jacques....some evil foxes in there, just to remind me I shouldn’t be like that.


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


CB: They all better storytellers than me, so none.


Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


CB: Christian Scott Atunde’s Stretch Music. It’s a jazz album.


Q15. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


CB: In an animation studio drawing cool shit and maybe snorting coke.


Q16. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


CB: “Sandstorm” by Mereba, it helps me cry. “Have Mercy” by YBN Cordae, I just feel the message. “Summer Time” by Childish Gambino. It’s summer right now...


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


CB: Green, cause plants are liiiiiiiiiife!!


Q19.What's one thing that you're proud of?


CB: My parents.


Q20. Greatest strengths?

CB: ...


Q21. Greatest weaknesses?


CB: Brain loops.


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


CB: There is nothing to think about.

Art by Clayton Brooks

You can follow his work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/claytona.brooks/


No comments:

Post a Comment