Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #35: Nancy Velazquez 7/31/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Nancy Velazquez




Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who is a friend of mine, and I've had the privilege of seeing this individual grow and bloom into themselves artistically and expressively. I don't have to say much that this individual will say about themselves for this one. Ladies and gents, robots and avatars, please welcome to the digital landscape Nancy Velazquez!

Q0. Who are your inspirations?


NV: I suppose Miyazaki because of my love for all his Ghibli Studio movies that he has created and all the plots and lessons to be learned within the movies. Also, Vincent Van Gogh, Gustav Klimt and Monet, these artists are the ones that I wish my art to be. Due to their use of color, and details that they invoke in each of their paintings.


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?


NV: Well, I don't write much however my art started out in middle school because I enjoyed doodling in all my notebooks. I loved art class but never pursued it and still enjoyed it in high school. I ended up taking different mediums from sculpting, photography, and art. However, I did not fully get involved until my second year in college where I decided to change paths to one I enjoyed and would love to do with my life.


Q2. When did you take art seriously?


NV: My first time was when I decided to take Art in college but when I decided I never imagined that this is what I’ve been wanting to do. Something I enjoyed was learning the history behind all the art the different style how i felt calm and how I was able to express myself. I decided to change majors and do what makes me happy.


Art by Nancy Velazquez


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


NV: Well I suppose being able to connect with other artists and friends no matter their media to help each other grow. Currently my friends really help me with my struggles because life man but gotta keep working.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


NV: Honestly, I would say I'm still growing as a person and figuring it out as I go but my parents so far have taught me to be open-minded and a hard worker no matter the obstacle.


Q5. If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


NV: Miyazaki because Princess Mononoke was one of the anime movies I saw and it had such a message of how humans have little regard to earth and how industrialization impacts nature.
Especially, with all that's happening now because of climate change and how its a scary thing to
think about that we are slowly killing nature.



Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


NV: Stan Lee, mostly because watching all the Marvel movies and how he was able to get people of ages to love super heroes. He came a long way from comics to movies and that will forever be his legacy. Also because now whenever I watch Marvel movie I won't be able to see his cameos since his passing.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


NV: Japan because of my love anime and the rich culture that they have, also their style is very
unique. Korea is another place i’d like to travel due to my current obsession with K-Pop and drama. I would love to go back to Italy because it was an amazing experience to be surrounded by history and so much art. I wish to go back again.


Photo courtesy of Nancy Velazquez


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


NV: Disappointing the people that care for me. I don't want to fail them.


Q9. If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


NV: Teleportation because I would be able to get to places without all the hassle. So if I’m ever
craving real gelato, Italy here I come. Also, I tend to like to sleep in, so I am always late to
school and work, whoops. To be honest I’d probably still be late but not by much at least hehehe..


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


NV: Mannerisms and attitude.


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


NV: I would tell myself to not care much about what others think and do what makes me happy and to take opportunities to help further myself. I was really shy and quiet up until college so I wish I stood up for myself and confident much earlier than later in life.


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


NV: Hmmm.. I haven't read much in the last couple of years because I have been busy with life and work. So i wouldn't know really.


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


NV: Can’t think of one that come to mind right now.


Q14. If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


NV: I’d pick Zion’s T OO album.


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


NV: My friends, especially those whose I’ve met in college. Because of them, I finally outgrew my shyness. Also, those who I’ve known since middle school and high school who have stuck around and endured my annoying ass. These people know me better than my own family and have helped me and motivated me so much.


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


NV: I see myself continuing my art, hopefully it's better than now. Also, teaching art history and traveling with my dear loved ones.




Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


NV: Such a difficult question since I listen to a lot of different music all at the same. Just depends on what I’m in the mood for. But i guess: Don't Smile At Me album by Billie Ellish, BTS Love Yourself album along with the single “Tear”, and G. Soul “Circles”.


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


NV: Yellow, because growing up I never liked it but as I grew older, I learned to appreciate it more and now its my favorite along with blue. Which concidiently are the main colors of my favorite painting Starry Night by Van Gogh. It's also a happy color and bright.


Q19: What is your greatest weakness?
NV: I would say my procrastination is the one thing that gets in my way when it comes to creating art.


Q20. What is your greatest strength?


NV: My greatest strength would be that I'm very patient.


Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?


NV: Currently not much but hopefully one day I will.


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


NV: I just tell myself everything okay everything will be okay just do what makes you happy.


Q23. What is success to you?

NV: It means that you are content and living life to your fullest doing whatever makes you happy and being able to overcome obstacles that stands in your way. Okay guys keeps working, create art and inspire all those you around you and be happy.



Art by Nancy Velazquez


No comments:

Post a Comment