Monday, July 22, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series 26: Miranda Vega AKA Miraswonderland 7/22/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Miranda Vega 

Cartoon Portrait by Miranda Vega


   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Today I'd like to introduce my latest guest to the landscape of the vast network that we call the internet. This woman is an aspiring illustrator who I've had the pleasure of taking a Graphic Narrative class taught by the great Professor Boehman at Laguardia Community College. Since then, she is remained active in her pursuits in between working as a comic book retailer, and other pursuits. Ladies and Robots of the digital realm, I'd like to welcome Miranda Vega!

Q0. Who are your inspirations?

MV: Artistically I have a lot. I grew up playing video games,reading manga and watching a lot of cartoons. I used to be obsessed with Masashi Kishimoto's art style (Naruto), Bisco Hatori (OHSHC: Ouran High School Host Club), Atsushi Okubo (Soul Eater) and I’m a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki’s work. I've also been inspired by games like Splatoon, The Legend of Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Animal Crossing, Spyro, the list goes on! I don't believe my current style reflects my inspiration from them though.

Splatoon Inkling Girl art by Miranda Vega

Q1. How did you get into art, and writing?

MV: I’m not really a writer. I got into art when I was young. Always doodlin’ in class.
I love cartoons so I’d draw the character I liked and eventually created my own.

Q2. When did you take art seriously?

MV: In high school I was introduced to a more serious art environment.
Most of my classmates actually cared about what they were working on and we’d collaborate on projects. We’d hang out in the art room and talk to our teachers after school.

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

MV: At the moment, being able to learn and create different things. I'm also motivated to go and travel the world with my closest friends. The struggle is real though! Working retail really drains you creatively. 

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

MV: I think I’m still trying to figure myself out. I've always had a love for gaming and cartoons so probably learning from shows like Hey Arnold, The Powerpuff Girls, Naruto and others.
Shows that gave a message about accepting others, never giving up, families that struggle and so on.

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

MV: Just one?! I have so many! Either Natasha Allegri or Alex Hirsch.
They both have created works that make me laugh and seem pretty chill. I'd wanna chat about everything and anything. Art, anime, comics,film, politics, conspiracies, travel!

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

MV: I think the people I look up to the most are still alive. If I'd have to pick probably the first person to ever create animation. I'd want to let then know how far we've come throughout the years and thank them.

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

MV: I recently went to Japan. I loved it so much I wanna go back!

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

MV: Might be a little too deep, but failing myself. I've realized that I can't please everyone, I just have to do things for me and try my best.

Q 9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

MV: Boring answer, but flight. I’m so sick of the MTA, I'd rather just fly around the city. Plus I can fly around the wooorld!!

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

MV: What stands out to me is a person's sense of style. If someone is wearing something I like I go up to them and compliment them. Even if it’s as simple as a t-shirt from a show I like.

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

MV: I’d tell myself to stop being so shy and put yourself out there. I've missed so many opportunities or growth just because I'm so shy.

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

MV: I’m not much of a novel reader. I read a lot of comics. Some series I follow and look to for inspiration are:  Giant Days for its slice of life, friendship and positivity.
 The Prince and the Dressmaker for its friendship and message of being true to oneself regardless of what others think.


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

MV: I know they're making a live action show now, but the Avatar The Last Airbender film.

Lights art by Miranda Vega

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

MV: This is a hard question, haha. A lot of the artists I listen to have already made comics made out of their albums. Probably the Lungs album by  Florence and the Machine. Specifically centered around the song "Cosmic Love".

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

MV: My friends for sure! I stay in contact with friends from middle and high school.
They’ve been with me since the beginning, they’ve seen me at my worst and my not so worst, they push me to become the best me that I could possibly be.

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

MV: I’m hoping to get into the convention scene and create some merchandise.

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on
repeat? why?

MV: One of my favorite artists is Lights. She recently released her acoustic album for Skin & Earth. It pairs with her comic series of the same title. She put so much effort into the entire Skin & Earth era and it shows. I've also been listening to the Night in the Woods and the Animal Crossing video game soundtracks, they just put me in a good mood.

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

MV: Probably pink or pastel colors in general. Light shades just brighten up my mood.
You'll mostly catch me in all black though.

Q19: What is your greatest weakness?

MV: Oh geez, I tend to compare myself to others in a negative way. I’m trying to work on that. Instead of being all “I’ll never be as great as an artist as them” I should try and see them as inspiration. Everybody starts somewhere!

Q20. What is your greatest strength?

MV: I think the fact that I'm always down to help out others. Some other creatives get overprotective with their sources and materials, which I understand. If a friend wants to know how to get something printed or what materials and programs I use for a project, I'll gladly let them know.

Q21. What's one thing that you're proud of? 

MV: In art? I think the fact that I'm always willing to play around with new mediums. Watercolor, sculpture, acrylics, digital media. I used to be so nervous about messing up an blank page or canvas. Now I just go for it!  I wanna give embroidery a try next!

Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

MV: Okay don't judge me. I know its super cheesy and silly. When I have a bad day, I remember a quote from Animal Crossing " Remember that bad times are just times that are bad -Kartina". To me it means that the bad moment is only temporary, it'll pass.

Q23. What is success to you?

MV: Success to me is just having fun and being able to inspire others to create.




You can follow her work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/miraswonderland/







No comments:

Post a Comment