Thursday, July 25, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #28: Hai Fei Xie 7/26/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Hai Fei Xie 




   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that I knew since my time as a Fine Arts student a few years ago. This individual is an example of immense talent and skill in her craft as an illustrator, and printmaker. I’ve had the privilege of witnessing her journey from our time in Graphic Narrative class and since then, everything that she puts her pencil and brushes on blooms with color and life. Ladies and gentlemen, Robots and Avatars, please welcome to the digital landscape of time and space, Hai Fei Xie!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?


HF: Tove Jansson, Hayao Miyazaki, and Shaun Tan.


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?
HF: I didn’t get started in art with reading and writing, but by watching animation, The Story of Heidi (1974). It originated from a children’s fiction by Johanna Spyri, a Swiss writer. The story is about a little orphan girl being taken care of by her grandfather, who has been at odds with the villagers. With Heidi’s presence, the grandfather gradually warmed up to her and others, causing his relationship with the villagers to grow and improve. Because of this Heidi becomes happy, and prevents her from being pushed around by anyone. Listed below is the animation, and plot of the story. 


HF: I got into printmaking by reading Of Mice and Men by John Steinberg. His writing beautifully describes the cold and dark post war time in the west coast, and how people struggled to find jobs.  


Q2. When did you take art seriously?
HF: 2nd year of college. In Jessica Boehman’s children’s book/ graphic narrative class, I learned to make a children’s book dummy that inspired me to consider becoming a bookmaker.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?
HF: I don’t really know, maybe every living creature’s connection with one or the others e.g a dog runs before its owner, the only little yellow flower on the sidewalk along side with others that cannot blossom.  


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?
HF: My parents. They taught me to be a hard-worker and be responsible for everything I do for my life. 


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who
would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?
HF: Miyazaki, I’d like to ask how to make a story based on ordinary lives. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers,
etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?
HF: Tove Jansson.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
HF: Finland, I grew up watching Moomin Valley created by Tove Jansson. Jansson’s illustrations are unique and beautifully mirrored her emotions about her feelings toward her memories. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?
HF: Physically, losing vision. I have bad eyesight, so I can’t imagine how my life wouldl be without seeing things around me. I don't get to go around the world, so I cannot imagine losing inspiration and spirits. 


Q10.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?
HF: Fly up high, because I'm able to travel anywhere without paying for expensive air tickets haha.


Q11. What catches your attention when you meet people?
HF: Their behavior, especially how they talking. One person’s tone of speaking shows what kind of person they are, and whether they are speaking with passivity or negativity. They could also show case whether they are emotionally sensitive or arrogant.


Q12. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?
HF: Open-minded. I wish I was like a sponge when I was young. To be able to absorb more variety of culture, different style of art form, open to suggestions and to be brave enough to try them.


Q13. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

HF: I don’t read a lot. When I moved to America, I was introduced to the 19th century American writings in school. E B. White’s Charlotte’s Web was the first American literature I have ever read. I enjoy the writing, it’s simple and joyful. However, My most memorable American writer is Edger Ellen Poe, his writings are dark, creepy and scary, but it's vivid description makes you become addicted to it. Recently I am reading Harry Potter 6 (Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince), and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere.

Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?
HF: I have always wanted to make an animation film like what Hayao Miyazaki has done for The Wind Rises. Using 2d animation technique to film a children’s movie about staying strong and being positive. I guess because i am not a positive person.


Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?
HF: I don’t have an idea yet, but I like how the last movie that Miyazaki made about an aircraft engineer from WW2. He created the film based on the engineer’s life, following events that happened during the time period, and Miyazaki’s own life experience of how his mother fought to live until her last breath. The movie is about  life and how it can be hard and dense. 


Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?
HF: I don't know for this question... but I'd say My sister. Because we struggled financial hardship when we were young, and she wasn't given the chance to achieve her dreams. She's very supportive and encouraging to my career choice and provides great advice when I am lost and in need of direction.


Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?
  • Graduate with Master Degree at QC. 
  • Have my first solo exhibition.
  • Publish my first children’s book.
Character art by Hai Fei Xie


Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on
repeat? And why?
HF: Miyazaki’s movie soundtrack, Piano tracks and all kinds of string instrumental music because they calm me down. 

Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?
HF: White, my mind is white, blank and empty at the moment.


Q20: What is your greatest weakness?
HF: Lack of confidence.


Q21. What is your greatest strength?
HF: Hard working.


Q22.What's one thing that you're proud of?
HF: I don't know if I have anything to be proud of other than that I'm alive, and that I have a few great family and friends who support me


Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?
HF: You have to work hard to become successful. If you tried, and you aren't seeing your succeed? you are not trying hard enough. You try harder and harder, still not successful? Then it is mean to be not for you. 


Q23. What is success to you?
HF: People are able to call out my name when they see my art.
Roaring printmaking art by Hai Fei Xie 


You can see her art on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/feihxie/
You can also find and purchase her art here: https://haifeixie.carbonmade.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment