Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #3: Austin Duke Satterwaite 7/10/19


Interviewer; Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Austin Duke Satterwaite 





    Hello and welcome to the latest entry of the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Today I had the privilege of speaking with fellow member of the comic book community, Comic Pop community, dedicated Superman fan, and writer in progress, Austin Duke Satterwaite. What makes him great is that he is not only a Superman fan, (which is hard to genuinely come by these days), but is a thoughtful individual that provides interesting discussions that go beyond the comic book landscapes of superheroes and storytelling. 



Q0. Who are your inspirations?


AD: As far as comic writers are concerned I love Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Brian Michael Bendis, Grant Morrison, Chip Zdarsky, Marv Wolfman, Cary Bates, and Elliot S! Maggin. My biggest love of superheroes comes from my mom, who honestly was a bigger fan of Superman and my source of information.


Q1. How did you get into comics and art?


AD: Since forever, honestly. Growing up in the 90's I watched Spider-man, Batman, X-Men, and Superman religiously. In fact I even had the Fleischer cartoon on VHS and watched it so much that the tape was ruined. I've been a fan of comics since I was 12 and they re-released the first issue of Amazing Fantasy #15 as promotional for the first Raimi film. From there I collected Marvel Encyclopedias like Spider-man and the X-Men, and once I slowly became interested in DC I bought the DC Comics Encyclopedia.


Q2. When did you take writing seriously?


AD: After seeing Spider-man (2002) for the first time my mind was blown. Don't get me wrong, I love the Donner Superman movie and thoroughly enjoyed the first Burton Batman movie, but it was this Spider-man movie that felt like a turning point. It made me even more interested in comic books, storytelling, and movie writing. From there it became an obsession as I was writing my own hypothetical scripts on the side; yes, including how I would tackle a Superman trilogy or a Spider-man 4 movie.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


AD: I'm just trying to do the best I can. Life is short and we're not going to be here forever, so I might as well tell the stories I always wanted to tell.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


AD: My parents, I love them. Also my mistakes. And regret. Lots of regret.


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


AD: I'd love to talk to Elliot S Maggin. For me, he really did define my appreciation of Lex Luthor as a character and wrote some really broad, cosmic stories that embody the best of the Bronze Age of comics. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


AD: Christopher Reeve. Granted, I would probably just freak out and forget my questions.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


AD: I'd love to see New York City again. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


AD: That there is no such thing as an after life and our shared existence is predestined to slowly die out and be forgotten in an uncaring universe.


Q 10.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


AD: Telekinesis, I feel like that's one of those powers that can do anything.


Q11. What catches your attention when you meet people?


AD: I guess I look out for how they carry themselves and interact with people. Typically I just keep to myself, I am a very solitary person in real life. 


Q12. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


AD: I'd tell myself that everything I'm telling myself is a bunch of crap. Things will get better. People don't think differently of you for who you are. And that you are never alone.


Q13. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


All-Star Superman, it made me realize that even a fictional character will always love you and believe in you. Mark Waid's The Flash, this is the comic run that made me really think about writing and plotting - it's a perfect coming of age story.  Invincible, this one brings it all together for me - great family drama and a lived in superhero world, it ends on a perfect note.


Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


AD: I'd remake Green Lantern and or Man of Steel.


Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


AD: Spider-Man, Foo Fighters. 


Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


AD: My mom.


Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


AD: A published writer with my own home.


Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


AD: SimCity, Doctor Who series 9 OST, and anything John Williams. Sim City has a great soundtrack that sounds fun and adventurous. Doctor Who series 9 has Heaven Sent and it's a gorgeous episode about grief, loss, and moving on. The OST captures it perfectly.
John Williams is the man.


Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?


AD: Red and blue. One represents power and passion, the other is the total opposite. 


Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?


AD: I'm proud of the work I am making progress on and just being able to work right now.


Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


AD: Every step forward is still a step taken. Keep going and you'll reach a mile.


I might be paraphrasing on that one....

No comments:

Post a Comment