Monday, July 22, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #23: Erika Bathory 7/19/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Erika Bathory


Photography by Erika Bathory

   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! I’d like to introduce a guest that is a model, photographer, and a poet. I met this woman a few years ago through my co-collaborator Jose Garcia, who introduced me to her, and low and behold, she is the other half of his creative side, as well as his girlfriend! Not only is she an entrepreneur in her photography work, but she is also a Crohn's Disease survivor and an advocate for helping those who are also suffering from it. She is a New York/ San Diego artist, that constantly travels around to capture the next best thing with her camera. So who is she? Ladies and Robot Warriors of the vast Internet landscape, please welcome Erika Bathory! 


Q0. Who are your inspirations?


EB: Jared Leto, and (not to sound vain) myself.


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?


EB: I've always been artistic since I was a kid; my father is an artist and my mom's uncle is too, and they'd always make handkerchief art for me. My mom really nurtured my interest in art and I had an art class in school so I was always creating something. I started writing as soon as I learned how; I started writing fantasy when I was in First Grade and then got heavily into poetry when I was in Sixth Grade.


Q2. When did you take art seriously?


EB: I think I've always taken it seriously since I was exposed to it to much and was always encouraged to create.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


EB:  Myself -- again, I'm not trying to sound vain but I face challenges everyday because of my health, so I'm always doing the best I can to enjoy life and appreciate the little things.  My niece is also a source of motivation for me since she's always looked up to me and admired me, which makes me want to be a good role model.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


EB: All of my experiences, and my mom. She's always been my rock and she's always encouraged me to do whatever makes me happy. Being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 16 changed my life and I really had to learn that I can't control every little thing, that sometimes things just happen and I need to adapt to the changes and go with the flow.


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


EB: Jared Leto! He's such an artistic genius (in my eyes anyway). I really admire that he has multiple skills like acting, directing (most Thirty Seconds To Mars music videos/short films were directed by him), and singing/music. I would ask him what inspires him and I'd definitely like to ask for some advice/tips. I really, honestly, would just like to befriend him.


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


EB: Bob Ross. I used to watch his show when I was a kid and I just really loved watching him create beautiful paintings. He also just seemed like he was a genuinely kind person and I think I'd enjoy spending time with someone like him.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


EB:  Italy; specifically Venice and Sicily. I have Sicilian ancestry so I'd love to see where my family came from!


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


EB:  Fire/being burned, and dealing with potentially fatal Crohn's complications.


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


EB: To cure disease. There are so many chronic illnesses in the world that don't have cures and it's really frustrating.


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


EB:  Don't judge me... teeth. The first thing I look at when I meet someone is their mouth. I don't only pay attention to their teeth though, I like observing how their mouths move when they speak. Facial Symmetry is another thing that catches my attention. I also immediately notice body language and their storytelling skills the minute they start speaking to me.


Painting by Erika Bathory

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


EB:  To relax. I had this crazy obsession and unrealistic expectation that I could control everything, and the minute things didn't go according to plan I'd have a full meltdown about it.


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


EB:  A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. 


I read the last book of the Gemma Doyle Trilogy (Libba Bray) when I was hospitalized and it made me cry. One of my nurses walked in on me sobbing and thought I was in pain so I had to explain to her that I was crying over the book. The trilogy is fantasy, which is my absolute favorite genre, and the lessons in the book were just so life changing for me. When I met Libba Bray at BookCon I cried like a baby and thanked her for writing the series.


Clockwork Angel is also part of a trilogy: The Infernal Devices. The books take place during the Victorian Era (I'm obsessed with Victorian fashion and Steampunk) and have some Steampunk elements... it's also fantasy which is a huge bonus for me. I related super hard to James Carstairs because he was sickly but always pushed himself.


The Hunger Games trilogy is just amazing. I love how it incorporated elements of politics and social/economic classes.


(All three trilogies made me cry like a baby by the way.)


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice?


EB: I'd remake City of Bones, hands down. I hate the movie adaptation so much because of how painfully inaccurate it was. I would also like to remake The Last Airbender for the same exact reason.


Q14. If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


EB:. This Is War album by Thirty Seconds to Mars. I think I'd choose to create a novel. 


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


EB:. My mom. Jose (my boyfriend) also helps a lot. They both support me and the things I do, they're also not afraid to let me know when I'm not doing enough or am acting unlike myself. Jose is always willing to help me work on my personal photography projects, and he's taught me a lot of new crafting skills as well.


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


EB: Financially stable with a nice house that has a backyard for my chickens, duck, goat(s) and rabbits to live comfortably. I want at least two guinea pigs in my home too. I'd love to have the time and money to travel as much as I want -- my goal is to be a traveling fortune teller. 


Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


EB: Songs: "Ninna Nanna" by Ghali. It's Italian trap/hip hop. I love the beat, his flow, and Italian is such a cool language so I just like listening to it.


"Hurricane" by Thirty Seconds To Mars. It's my all-time favorite song. 


"Burn" by Alkaline Trio. I love the sarcasm of how the lyrics don't really match the [kind of] upbeat music. Lyrically it's a great song.


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


EB:  Green. It's nature, it's happiness. Also, cacti are green and they're my favorite type of plant.


Q19: What is your greatest weakness?


EB: Procrastination. I'm trying to work on it though... but I've been procrastinating doing so.


Q20. What is your greatest strength?


EB: This might sound dumb, but, my childlike joy. I celebrate the smallest victories, I always try to be optimistic. I do my best to not take things for granted and to truly enjoy every good/happy moments in my life to the fullest.


Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?


EB: Aside from my work (photography, art/crafts, etc,) I'd say my strength... emotional/mental strength.


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


EB: "Bitch, YOU GOT THIS!" I hype myself up, especially when facing obstacles or working on projects.


Q23. What is success to you?


EB: Happiness. I feel like if what I'm doing isn't making me happy then I'm a failure. It doesn't matter what I decide to do with my life, as long as I'm happy then I'm successful.

Photography by Erika Bathory



You can follow her work here on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/erikabathoryphotography/

You can also follow her work on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EriKaBathoryPhotography

No comments:

Post a Comment