Monday, July 22, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #27: Interviewee Returns! Jose Garcia! Pt 2!


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Jose Garcia AKA Brainslug_art

Living Between art by Jose Garcia


   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! This is a very special entry for all of the readers that have been with this page since 2016. When I first made this page as a secondary blog that was separated from my comic book reviews blog, It was with the intent on interviewing fellow illustrators that I knew at the time. One of the interviewee’s that I interviewed then, was the last person I interviewed in 2016 prior to the hiatus of this very blog. I’d been waiting to do a thing, where I would interview some of the creatives from the first series to see what has changed since 2016, and now it's finally happened! One of my returning interviewees who closed out the 2016 series, returns for my latest one! He is one of my co- collaborators on a graphic novel, and other creative projects, and a writer as well as artist. Ladies and gents, Robots and Avatars, I’d like to welcome a returning guest, Jose Garcia! 

Q1. Who are your current  inspirations?
JG: My friends who are doing what they want everyday regardless of the hardships of life.
Q2. What drives you in your daily life currently?
JG: Trying to get to the next point in my life. I wish it was faster, but as you always say one day at a time. 
Q3. What has changed for you creatively since the 2016 interview? 
JG: Digital art. Putting my focus to that, which sucks cause in learning a new medium but it has a lot of obvious positive aspects. 
Q4.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?
JG: Zack Snyder and Claudio Sanchez. Ask them their perspectives of making their own self published comics and making it in a huge comic company. Get their takes and maybe see what would be the best route in terms of how to work and what to work towards. 
Q5. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?
JG: Stan lee. Only got to meet him once but didn't get to talk to him sadly. I would want to know how and what would it take to start from the bottom, and work my way up to my own company. When he started he was working during a time that comics weren't all that popular. So I think he would have some insight on how the upcoming looks from an interesting perspective. 
Stan Lee Infinity War/ Endgame 2018 tribute art by Jose Garcia and colors by Anthony Andujar Jr

Q6. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
JG: Ancient cities. I've been a lot of places and they all become so similar and manufactured nowadays. 
Q7. What is one thing that you fear?
JG: Hard to say. But I would land on getting old and wishing I could do things. Its something I do now which I hate but it would scare me in the future cause right now I still have the ability to do anything and everything. 
Q8.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?
JG: Reality jumping. I would be able to experience every reality possible, which also means a reality I have every and any power I want lol. 
Q9. What catches your attention when you meet people?
JG: Subjects they talk about. You can tell who and how the person is based on the stuff they like to talk about. 
Q10. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?
JG: You know what you want to do, don't put it off to try to do other "safer" or "realistic" things cause you're going to always fall back to what you want. 
Q11. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?
JG:  I don't really read a lot these days, so this is a hard question. I should read more so I can be shaped in thinking different ways. Lol
Q12. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?
JG: Avatar The Last Airbender. Netflix is doing a live action series, but I was so mad at the first live action movie that I went back rewatched the entire 1st season and wrote down everything needed to make a three hour legit movie. I still have the rough draft.
Q13.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?
JG: I would take individual songs and make a sort of compilation of songs but if I had to choose one it would be A Perfect Circle - Emotive.
Q14. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?
JG: Myself. I know that sounds stupid or cliche or whatever but to be honest, everyone always wants others to fit in their box of how they see fit, and I find myself always having to set my mind to not conforming to what anyone wants. I am myself, I exist as is, and no one should try to change no one. You change yourself for the better and that's it. If you don't like it, pretend I don't exist like all the other things you ignore in your life. 
Q15. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?
JG: I hope to be in the middle of an uprising in my creative field. I hope to be gaining momentum that allows me to do it full time and have all my energy and mind focused on it.
Q16. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?
JG: Coheed and Cambria (all albums but more so Afterman dual album and the new unheavenly sky album). A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant. And Kid Cudi - Passion, Pain, and Demon Slayin. They all give me a variation of different feelings and styles but allow my creative juices to flow. 
Q17. What color speaks to you the most and why?
JG: Purple. Always has. I feel it's the most perfectly balanced of all colors. 
Speaking of Purple! Galactus art by Jose Garcia

Q18. What is your greatest weakness?
JG: Girls with big butts lmao. But realistically my inability to continue long term projects consistently. I always end up stopping/pausing because my brain goes somewhere else with a new idea or if I feel the end doesn't justify coming back to it. It's something I'm working to fight against. 
Q19. What is your greatest strength?
JG: I believe it is to think differently about things and putting different things together that others probably wouldn't. 
Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?
JG: Having done and gone through a lot of things. It shapes me to being able to think how I do. 
Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?
JG: I don't have one. I need one though.
Q22. What is success to you?
JG: I'll get back to you lol. 

X-Men art by Anthony Andujar Jr, Colors by Jose Garcia 

You can follow his work here on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brainslug_art/

You can also purchase his designed apparel here:  



No comments:

Post a Comment