Monday, July 22, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series 24: Simon Taveras 7/22/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Simon Taveras. 


HiLi Newport Sticker courtesy of the Higher Limits website

   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Much like my last interviewee, Rah Rah Mateo, I met guys like Carlovey Musicc, HighLyfe Cyf, Js1N, and Jak Skelley through Director Derrick M Clarke who filmed a music video shoot back in 2014. One of the individuals that I met was a guy named Simon. Little did I know, that many of the subway stickers that I would see posted around the city was apart of a brand that he helped establish since 2009. The name of the brand is called Higher Limits, seem familiar? If you’re a native New Yorker, you might have spotted some stickers that sport the Newport 90’s aesthetics, that says Higher Limits. If you know, you know, and If you don’t well, I figured it's better late than never! Ladies, Robots, Man and Digital Avatar alike, please welcome to the digital landscape, Simon Taveras! 

Q0. Who are your inspirations?

ST: I tend to draw inspiration from many people and sources, mainly streetwear culture, architecture and graphic design and music (hip-hop mostly). I don't specifically have any names of people who I regularly draw inspiration from, but I typically get inspiration from people from all walks of life. 


Q1. How did you get into art?

ST: I was always good at drawing and sketching, and I went to school for Architecture, which turned me into a designer than an artist. I still have artistic tendencies, with a designer touch and finish. 

Q2. When did you take art seriously?

ST: Probably at around 10 years old, when two of my art pieces were sold at a charity auction for more than a thousand dollars. I didn't get a dime of that money though, lol.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

ST: The goal is the freedom to one day travel the world and understand more of it, as well as myself. NYC is a great place to be, but it doesn't paint a full picture of how the world is. 


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

ST: I would say when I stopped doing and listening to what my friends and family told me, and started looking for my own path in life, was what began me becoming the person I am today. 

Q5. If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

ST: I can't think of a specific one, I just enjoy being around and talking to anyone who is a creator. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

ST: Lil Peep was an artist that was really coming out with his own unique sound that was heavily influenced by goth / emo music, two genres that you don't really hear about nowadays. I would have liked to listen to early goth/emo music with him and find out what his biggest influences were. 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

ST: I really enjoy going to Europe, the people there have a mentality completely different and more grounded than people in the USA. I would visit more European places like Spain or France. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

ST: Laying on my deathbed with a laundry list full of regrets.


AIM HIGH DBZ Tee courtesy of the Higher Limits website

Q9. If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

ST: Time traveling, so I can go back in time and set myself up for the future (maybe go back to 2009 and buy bitcoin when it was $1, lol).

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

ST: If I can tell that they are independent thinkers, and they don't just say or do what the majority of society says/does, then I can have more of a conversation and connection with them. 


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

ST: Don't be afraid to start something, even if you don't know much about it. Also don't worry about what people think of you, at the end of the day, you can't make everyone happy. Your biggest supporters are usually people you've never met before, while your biggest haters tend to be people you know.

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

ST: The 10x Rule by Grant cardone is one that has helped me learn about delayed gratification in exchange for a more stable and long term life/career for the future. Any one of Gary Vaynerchuck's books will help anyone who is trying to succeed during the social media era, and how to use social media to network and have your work reach a bigger audience (check out 'Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook' and 'Crushing It!'). Rich Dad, Poor Dad is one that helped me start to think about money differently, which has helped me become better at planning for my life in the future. As a creative person, money is important for survival as well as to fund for the ideas that I have and want to execute. 

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would
be your film of choice ?

ST: TMNT would be a cool one, despite the fact that they already have been remaking/rebooting it. I think they can start to expand on it, maybe showing them going to other boroughs and having adventures there. But It would have to be something from the 90's like the Mummies Alive cartoon, or Biker Mice From Mars. I think with a 2019 twist, those can be done really well and be successful.


Q14. If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

ST: Linkin Park - Meteora, that was a solid album.


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

ST: I would say any independent artist or creator has influenced me to do what is true to me. I don't have any specific one(s) in mind, unfortunately. 


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

ST: I hope to see myself traveling and meeting other creative people and hopefully collaborating with them to make art that people have never seen before. 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on
repeat? And why?

ST: I am super into City Morgue for some reason, mainly because I used to listen to Metal and Hard Rock back when it was relevant and it has those elements mixed with hip-hop. I also listen to Pouya and Shakewell

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

ST: I really like the color blue, it is a very calm and peaceful color. 

Q19.What's one thing that you're proud of?

ST: Starting my own brand right after college and continuing to do it. It has taught me more than I will probably ever learn at school or at a job. 

Q20. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

ST: Be consistent. Consistency trumps talent the majority of the time. 

Here is a photo of my Google Chrome laptop, which has a Higher Limits Newport aesthetic sticker on it.




You can purchase his apparel at: https://www.higher-limits.com/

You can follow his work on these pages:




Twitter: https://twitter.com/HigherLimitsNYC

No comments:

Post a Comment