Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #5 Trey Nygma 7/10/19



Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Trey Nygma 

Photo by Trey Nygma


 Oh hello, You’ve caught me at the right time! I was just going about my day on this digital landscape and then suddenly, you, the viewer, yes, YOU, suddenly show up! Either way, I’m glad you’re here since I have new guest who has graced us with his presence. Who is this individual? His name is Trey Nygma, a member of the comic book community, and a huge Green Arrow and Thor fan, and a drummer who is in the pursuit for the next evolution in his craft. Thankfully for us he was gracious enough to take part in this episode and offer his thoughts on the questions that I presented to him. So without further delay, Here we go!





Q0. Who are your inspirations?


TN: I am not really inspired by any one person, if I'm being completely honest, as selfish as it sounds I am inspired by the ideal person I want to transform into one day.

Q1. How did you get into art?


TN: Mostly through friends in high school, I hung out in guitar circles at school and we exchanged CDs, so music became a huge influence in my life when was around 13 and it just grew from there.


Q2. When did you take art seriously?


TN: Kind of late honestly, music was a big influence but I didn't start trying to seriously pursue until I was about 25-26.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


TN: That I need to get out of my folk's house and pursue the things I love instead of letting it get away from me sometimes. 


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


TN: I can't really say, it was never just one thing, multiple things changed me over time, a lazy school, an ex-girlfriend sharing her trauma with me, my dad buying me a guitar, my mom buying me a comic book, anime on adult swim, seeing Iron Man in theaters in 2008, life is big and no one event can define a person, it's too complicated for that.


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about? 


TN: Living? Troy Sanders from Mastodon, I'd love to dissect his mind to see how him and the rest of the band come up with the insane esoteric ideas for their music. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


TN: Robin Williams, I'd just want to tell him he made my lonely little childhood a little better and tell him thank you. 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?


TN: Either Scandinavia, since it's my ancestral homeland and the home of black metal, or Japan because I'm a giant weeb. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


TN: Dying alone. 


Q 10.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


TN: Superspeed, so I can go to where the people I care about need me the most as quickly as possible. 


Q11. What catches your attention when you meet people?


TN: Usually eccentricities, like colored hair, tattoos, body modifications, I'm naturally drawn to weird and bizarre people, it makes me really happy when people aren't afraid to be themselves. 


. Q12. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


TN: To stay away from certain toxic people, let them know what they will do if they don't, maybe his life will turn out a little less painless than mine.





Q13. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


TN: Green Arrow: The Outsiders War, Flex Mentallo Man of Muscle Mystery, and Justice League New Frontier, I guess they taught me to be more optimistic and less jaded with life.


Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ? 


TN: Tim Burton's Batman, it was my favorite movie as a kid.


Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick? 


TN: Mastodon's Crack the Skye, it's a crazy concept about a paraplegic who learns astral projection and goes back in time and meets Rasputin during the Russian revolution.


Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


TN:  My DnD group, they saved my life. 


Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


TN:  Hopefully married to someone who gets me and playing drums part time when I'm not working. 


Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why? 


TN: Mastodon's Once More 'Round The Sun, King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard's Nonagon Infinity, and Alice in Chains' Dirt. They're all just fun solid music. 


Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?


TN: Black and red, makes me feel strong and ambitious. 


Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?


TN: Pursuing drums, it's a very fun cathartic instrument to play, I only regret I didn't pursue it sooner in life.


Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


TN: Shed your skin, and expose your Bones. 


It's from a Coheed and Cambria song, "The Dark Sentencer", they way I interpret it is, stop hiding who you are and let world see your true self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment