Friday, July 26, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #31: Brian Isaccs 7/25/19




Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Brian Isaacs

The Real Lantern behind The Guardians of Fanboy Factor, Brian Isaacs!

     Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who provided me a platform and a voice where I could talk about my reviews about my favorite comic books every week, and share it amongst the digital landscape of the internet. It was the summer of 2016, and I was doing some summer classes, and working part time at my college. I was looking to find a means to make extra money, if not that, then at least to get some of my work out there, be it illustrations or writing. One day I was on Facebook, and a friend of mine posted an ad that was calling for experienced and newbie writers to write comic book reviews. I applied for a couple of internships in regards to writing reviews but none of them responded back to me. 
     At this point, I had already written reviews and thoughts on comics on my Comics and All page (https://antacomicpage.blogspot.com/) and figured that I apply and give it a shot. And since then, I was able to not only write comic book reviews, but I was able to interact with creators and even stay up to date with the latest titles that are published all year round. It’s been an immense privilege to be able to read comics and write about them in between my day job, school and personal life and endeavors. Ladies and Robots of all time and space, please welcome to the internet landscape, Executive Editor, Creator and Publisher of Fanboy Factor, Brian Isaacs! 


Q0. Who are your inspirations?

BI: My inspirations are Will Eisner, Ed Brubaker, Dennis O’Neil, Darwyn Cooke, and many others.

Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing comic book reviews?

BI: I’ve been a comic fan since I got my first comic back in 1974. I got into review because I was so tired of sites sucking up. The reviews weren’t honest. While I’m not saying you should bash something, but you don’t need to give it a positive review.

Q2. When did you begin take writing seriously?

BI: I think it was in college when I really got into writing. I studied film and really enjoyed writing screenplays. Though reviewing is a different animal. I find I hold myself back when I write reviews, but I thrive when it comes to editorials.

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

BI: Comics have always been a passion of mine. But what drives me is I see myself more as an educator than a reviewer. I always enjoy telling the backstory of a character when I do a review.

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

BI: Tough question. Mainly life experience. It’s a little sad. I still seek my parents’ approval when it comes to comic books. They’ve always looked down on it and yet, even at 50 I want their approval on this.

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

BI: I’ve spoken to many people in the comic industry it’s always very interesting. I love getting inside their head and learning about the process. When I was considering writing comic books, I actually had Louise Simonson mentoring me for a little while. That was really cool of her.

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

BI: There are so many: Will Eisner, Robin Williams, Jack Kirby. Just way too many to name.

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

BI: I’ve always wanted to see Japan. I’m in love with the Japanese culture.

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

BI: Failure. I’m my own worst enemy sometimes.

Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

BI: I go back and forth between telepathy and seeing into the future. I like to know what people are saying about me. I’m a little paranoid about that stuff. As for seeing into the future, just to see the winning lottery numbers!


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

BI: I like to think I’m a good just of character. I like to say I can spot an asshole a mile away. But I do suffer from social anxiety. I get uncomfortable in situations when the topic of conversation isn’t something I’m familiar with like sports.

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

BI: Be true to yourself.

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

MAUS by Art Speigelman. As a Jew, this is powerful story of a first hand account of the Holocaust. A very important topic. 

NEW YORK TRILOGY by Will Eisner. A very interesting account of New York in the 1940s.

THE QUESTION by Dennis O’Neil and Denys Cowan. Such a different superhero story. Very groundbreaking at its time.

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice?

BI: Movies don’t need to be remake. This is the problem with Hollywood. While it’s not a lack of original ideas, it’s a lack of the studios willing to take a risk. 

Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

BI: I don’t think I could do something like that. I feel music can add more to a scene than be an actual movie.

Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

BI: Without a doubt, my wife. She keeps me on track.

Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

BI: Probably doing the same thing.

Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

BI: Music needs to speak to me. A new song has a few seconds to catch my attention. But three songs I listen on repeat are: “Intact” by Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, “Stick ‘Em Up” by Quarashi, and “Alligator” by Of Monsters and Men. 

Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?

BI: I seem to wear a lot of black. Not sure if it really speaks to me.

Q20: What is your greatest weakness?

BI: I’m my own worst enemy. I doubt myself a lot. It’s not easy.

Q21. What is your greatest strength?

BI: My ability to empathize with people. 

Q22.What's one thing that you're proud of?

BI: Honestly, my son. Just watching him become a good man is just amazing. Other than that, Fanboy Factor. The fact that I built this from the ground out just makes me proud.

Q23. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

BI: You can do anything you set your mind to.

Q24. What is success to you?

BI: Success is right up there with happiness.








No comments:

Post a Comment