Monday, July 22, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #22: Shaliana Mercado 7/21/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Shaliana Mercado

   Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! I have a very special guest for this latest entry today! I met her as a fellow Laguardia student for Professor Abdula Matta’s Poetry class back in 2017. Throughout the course, she would craft poetic pieces that showcased the duality of her hispanic/latina background, infusing it with Nuyorican wit, and soul. Throughout most of her works she would go into places that created a vulnerable space that was as guarded as it is inviting. Her work tends to channel the innermost thoughts of the Puerto Rican and Dominican  communities, accompanying it with bittersweet sonnets of loss, romance, self discovery and self worth. When she is not writing poetry, she is a model for brands such as Bruja Feminism. Ladies, gentlemen, and Robots from across the internet landscape, please welcome: Shaliana Mercado! 

Q0. Who are your inspirations?
SM: My inspirations come from everywhere and are rooted in different people. 

Q1. How did you get into art?
SM: I've been into art since I can recall. It all started with music and years later my love for writing poetry grew. 

Q2. When did you take art seriously, most notably writing?
SM: I started taking writing seriously,  specifically Poetry in my sophomore year of college. For me, writing poetry came naturally. It was also therapeutic on so many levels. As a latina woman living in a low-income neighborhood with high crime/ violence rate, I started developing anxiety. But once that pen made contact with that piece of paper, all my trapped fears, emotions, conversations with myself or with others, all came to life. I gave it meaning, and it gave me a purpose.  

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?
SM: My own motivation and just wanting better for myself. 

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?
SM: My mother and grandmother, I owe it to them. Also, my environment. 

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?
SM: I would speak to Joan Smalls. She's a beautiful and incredibly talented Supermodel. Her drive and determination just inspire me to follow my dreams. 

Q6. If there were any deceased creators, actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?
SM: I would want to speak to my mom’s older sister, Lourdes. Her determination and her love for life always had me in awe. Although she was very sick, she didn’t let her sickness take a toll on her life and she continued to live her life as she wanted. 

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
SM: Oh my God, I would love to go to India. I love their culture and I would just love to learn so much more.

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?
SM: Might sound silly, but I fear the unknown. 

Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?
SM: Definitely, a shapeshifter. 

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?
SM: Personality. 

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?
Definitely, spend more time with your loved ones and prioritize what's important.   

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?
  1. This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz.
  2. Milk and Honey by Rapi Kaur
  3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
These books hold a very special place in my heart and while reading them I got a hold of something, a powerful meaning.


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?
SM: My film of choice would be a romantic comedy or somewhere a drama. My poetry always tends to fall into that route. Either it’s too dramatic for my own liking or it’s too romantic.  
Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?
SM: The album Trench by Twenty one Pilots.

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?
SM: All the people that support my dreams and goals. I keep my circle very small and I'm very selective of who I welcome into my life.

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?
SM: Hopefully, God willing as a successful Model. Traveling and doing big campaigns. 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?
  1. OASIS by J balvin and Bad Bunny. (album)
  2. Trench by Twenty-one Pilots (album)
  3. III by Banks ( Album)
I don’t really have specifics to why these albums are on repeat. I'm just that type of person that once I'm hooked on a song or album I have to hear it over and over again until I'm tired of it. 

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?
SM: Yellow because of how bright it is and it just makes me happy. 


Q19.What's one thing that you're proud of?
SM: Getting my college degree.

Q20. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?
SM: You can do it! You will do it.



You can follow her modeling work on Tumblr: https://shaliana-mercado.tumblr.com/

You can also follow her work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shaliana.m/

In addition, you can also follow her work on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shalyymarie

You can also follow her poetry work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unbothered_thoughts/

No comments:

Post a Comment