Thursday, July 25, 2019

Artist Ant Interview People Summer Series #29: Cindy Vasquez 7/26/19

Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Cindy Vasquez 

     Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest for the blog who I think is a very humorous yet introspective individual. I met this artist during my time as a Fine Arts major in college through my friend Samu. Not only was she a fan of the anime/manga Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, but her sense of humor and taste in dank memes is a sight for sore eyes amongst this digital landscape that we call the internet.
In truth, she is much more than that, she is an illustrator that reflects not only her imagination, but the local environments that aren’t echoed often by New York artists. Blending humor, dankness, reflective, and at times existential themes with her work she is building a name for herself. This individual that I present to you today, for all of the ladies, robots and for the internet is none other than Cindy Vasquez!


Q1. So my first question is , How did you get involved in art?

CV: It primarily started as a kid, I had a crayon and drew on my grandma’s wall as a typical toddler would lmao. Then transitioned onto paper whenever I had no other outlet, just to entertain myself. 

I would say having gotten into anime growing up such as Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Digimon has influenced or enhanced my creativity or interest within art by mimicking whatever characters I was drawn to.. or generally making my own version of it. It’s something that I carried with me since secondary to high school. Of course throughout those years I alter it or infused it with other elements.

Q2.  Who are your artistic influences? How did they inspire your craft?

CV: New York scenery has been one of my major influences besides anime/manga.. or just the rawness and complexity of things/mind. I would say instagram artists such as Sara Bin and Graceina Samosir, are among a couple of other artists that I dig checking up on when being on social media.

Q3. What is a current theme that occurs throughout your work? Why does it appeal to you?

CV:   I basically tend to go for randomization most of the time, of what I’m idealizing to put on paper or other media that resonates with my vision or mood. 

It either comes across as what I want or mentally express and see it reflecting..or just the rawness or New York City and its essence.. with a comical or odd sense of humor since it’s one of the concepts I like to go for most of time..unless I’m in some melancholy mood to express out for the moment. 


Art by Cindy Vasquez

Q4. What is the most difficult part of the creative process? How do you work around it?

CV: Procrastination is something I’m currently tackling lol, more so since I got more spare time atm..idk and practice with being more consistent on certain areas of what I need to do for myself… Then there’s the “block”.. not knowing what to resonate my drawings with at first..all together, just going for it usually embarks on where to go about it during my creative process.
In other words, if you don’t know where to start, still dip for it and let the pencil/pen guide you-you’d find the route from there mate.   (: 

 Q5. What do you listen to as a playlist when crafting your work? And is there any go to artists that you listen to that helps to set the mood?

CV: During crafting hours, I usually listen to variations of stuff depending on the mood I am in the moment. From soul, indie/alternative post punk, some R n B here and there. Current artists that I have on replay are Steve Lacy, Gal Costa, Crystal Castles, Shintaro Sakamoto (recent playlists).

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?
   
CV: Hmmm, I guess the generic would be Van Gogh, Rosa Parks and Frida Kohla..I’m not a huge celebrity type of person however..most of the people I associate with listening, watching are currently alive.

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

CV: Japan, Himalayas and some places in Europe. I tend to like warm to tolerable cool places to visit.  

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

CV: Not being satisfied in life, being diagnosed with a life threatening disease. 

Art by Cindy Vasquez


Q 10.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

CV: Flying, I can fly anywhere without paying for flights (: 

Q11. What catches your attention when you meet people?

CV: Their vibes and their mannerism. 

Q12. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

CV: Validate yourself more, you’re compassionate and there’s more to you.

Q13. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

CV: Chicken Noodle Soup For The Soul when I was in secondary school and I’m currently reading All About Love by Bell Hooks. Great read so far. Enhances me to become more introspective in matters of life:

Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

CV: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind comes to mind.


Q15.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

CV: Album Iroha by Iroha. Black and White cinematography kind of filter, exploring in different urban dimension with randomness.

Q16. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

CV: I don’t know for sure or can’t say for sure, I would say just people/loved ones who support me and encourages me.

Q17. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

CV: Fully independent, financially comfortable and generally happy, continuing with my creativity.

Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

CV: I’ve been listening to Duster (band), Shintaro Sakamoto and Black Marble (Band) recently played this week. Due to chill easy kinda vibe or just in the mood for them.

Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?

CV: Colors that speaks serenity to me, like beige, pale blue..other ones are dark colors hues like burgundy, dark olive green, dark aqua.

Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?

CV:  My last minor exhibition or participation by the NoMaa Art Stroll. Encourages me to strive for more and further for myself.

Art by Cindy Vasquez

You can follow her work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cid_network/

You can also find her work at her website: https://cinshort2.wixsite.com/cidn3twork

No comments:

Post a Comment