Sunday, July 28, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #32: Jessica Boehman 7/28/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Jessica Boehman

    Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that I’ve had the privilege of being a student of many years ago. When I first entered college, I took a Graphic Narrative class which focused on how to make children's books and comic books/ graphic novels. This professor showed me the ropes on understanding the actual process of making comics from the scripts, to the thumbnails, to the character designs, to the finish and all. This individual recently published her first children's book and I figured that it would be a great topic to discuss about aside from the workings of her creative mind. Ladies, Robots, and the entire digital landscape of the internet, please welcome Jessica Boehman!

Photo courtesy of Jessica Boehman



Q0. Who are your inspirations?
JB: Well, you know that I am an art historian. So I take inspiration from lots of different places. I love looking at medieval manuscripts, mosaics, Renaissance and Baroque paintings. But also, I really love pop culture like graphic novels, comics, and kids’ books. I look at art all the time, so it’s a mix and it’s hard to pinpoint certain people.  I think my style keeps shifting as I mature. 

Q1. How did you get into art?
JB: When I was little, I remember very clearly feeling called to draw. I wasn’t very good at it--sometimes I still think I am not when I’m having a bad art day--but I felt like ME when I did it. I felt a very clear sense of figuring out who I was at a young age. I got my first sketchbook for Christmas and it remains one of the best gifts I have ever received.

Q2. When did you start taking art seriously?
JB: In school, we were always given a choice of elective, and I always picked art. In high school, I took every art class that I could.  I majored in studio art and art history in college. But then I spent nine years learning how to study a work of art when I got my master’s and Ph.D. in art history. I learned how to research and question and think deeply about images. It still affects how I think today about the art I see in books and other printed materials. 
     During that time, though, I really missed drawing. I simply did not have much time and it was not encouraged. So I told myself that once I graduated, I could do whatever I wanted, and whatever I wanted to do was to draw. So I got started again slowly after a LONG hiatus. I still wonder how my style would be different if I hadn’t taken that hiatus. Or how I would look at art differently. Who’s to say?

Q2.1. How long have you been working on children's books?
JB: Hmmm, I think it’s been about 6 years since I took my first class to learn about kidlit illustration. I got started at SVA’s Continuing Education program with illustrator Monica Wellington.


Q2.2. What was the process like when crafting your children's book The Lions at Night? 
JB: I started with an idea. That idea led to a short two page comic that I now see as relatively unsuccessful. That comic led to a conversation with a publisher. From there, I wrote a script for a 32-page wordless book. Then, I storyboarded the whole thing in pretty decent detail so she could get a clear sense of the story. I did  the cover first per her request, and then worked through the book in page order.

Q2.3. What inspired the making of your book?
JB: There were lots of pieces in my mind that came together. I had an image in my head of a lion in a store window (I’m working it into a future book, so I won’t explain too much more). But also, I looked around a lot in NYC and noticed the phenomenon that New Yorkers keep to themselves when something weird happens. So I started thinking, what exactly might one miss?

Q2.4. What difficulties did you face when creating The Lions at Night?
JB: There were pages that technically I did not know how to make and I had to improve my digital composition skills to make them work.  Also, it was lonely work, mostly done in the morning before work and evenings after work. So a lot of the time I was really tired and it just felt like a slog. I guess that’s why they call it artwork. It was also a much slower process than I anticipated, which was frustrating for me at times.

Q2.5. What did you learn from that process that you could incorporate into your next project?
JB: Not to fear the computer. I also might not draw in sequence the next time, or be prepared to redraw certain pages. I felt like I improved in the process.

Q2.6. Prior to The Lions at Night, were there any stories that you originally wanted to tell, but couldn't make it work?
JB: Yes. I have written many stories. One was a fairytale that I wrote that still could be something someday, if I can make it  more modern. It’s way too old fashioned for this publishing market. And I have changed a lot, too, since I wrote it, so it may or may not resurface.

Wendy art by Jessica Boehman

Q2.7. In regards to illustrating what is something that you always draw that brings joy to you?
JB: I really like drawing animals. I have had a lot of fun drawing wolves in various scenarios. I still have many wolf ideas I hope to bring to fruition. I also really like drawing fine detail and nature scenes.

Q2.8. What is one thing that you find as a challenge to illustrate?
JB: Architecture and cars. Argh! I am not great at perspective.

Q2.9. What is one thing that always comes to mind when illustrating?
JB: I try to always think about how an illustration is a story. I am always working to become a better storyteller, and I have so, so much to learn about the art of visual storytelling.

Q3. In regards to the writer's and artist’s block, what strategies do you use to overcome them?
JB: I wish I had a real strategy. I have dealt with this a lot in the past year or so. Weirdly for me, I have to turn on my eyes and turn off my creativity. I try to do nature drawings when I am feeling stuck or if I am in a period of waiting for a project to start or proceed. It forces me to look closely and to try to develop my skills and breaks a total block. It can lead to other things as at least you are creating.

Q4. What advice would you offer to up and coming authors?
JB: Join a professional society, like SCBWI (the Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators) so you can learn and get feedback from professionals and peers. Join an author or illustrator group and share your work. Don’t work in a bubble. You won’t produce your best work that way. You need feedback.

Q5. What drives you in your daily life?
JB: I try to do my best at most things. I try to be a good teacher, to be wise in my advice, and to do right by others. That’s my hope at the start of every day: “Let me be a good _____”, (friend, teacher, sister), you fill in the blank.

Q6. What made you the person that you are today?
JB: There have been many influences on my development. Personal relationships (my parents and artistic siblings, fantastic professors who cared deeply), travel, a series of severe illnesses, and other personal setbacks have helped to hone my belief system and my personality. They have given me strength to keep going (and I hope a strength of character, though that’s a work in progress.)

Q7.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?
JB: I would talk to Bill Watterson, creator of “Calvin and Hobbes.” He was a consummate storyteller in every way. He doesn’t give many interviews, but I’d like to just spend a day hanging out with him and seeing how his brain works. Maybe also Shaun Tan. He’s got a great sense of creativity and I love the way he sees the world. I did meet him once, but I’d like to hang out with him.

Q8. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?
JB: Michelangelo, Caravaggio, and Bernini. They were all art giants and they all had fantastically interesting lives. I’d want to see how they would talk to me as a woman (and whether they’d scorn me or try to seduce me.)

Q9. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
JB: I really want to go to more places with natural beauty, like Iceland, the Tyrolean Alps, Scandinavia, or Macchu Picchu. As I’m writing this, I’m in Rome and very happy to be here. I love Italy and wouldn’t mind exploring more places I haven’t been in the country, like the north. I really want to explore the British Isles more.

Q10. What is one thing that you fear?
JB: I fear losing the ones that I love the most.

Q11.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?
JB: If I were selfish, I would say flying or teleporting. Maybe not so interesting, but it would feel so good to be up there zooming away. I still have dreams where I try to fly. As for teleportation, I could be with my loved ones in a snap or travel very easily, and that would be great.
If I were selfless, it would be to heal myself and others.

  Q12. What catches your attention when you meet people?
JB: If they present their authentic selves to me or not. If they do, I can make a good connection. I don’t like artifice. I also love a good sense of humor, someone who is willing to be open, and kindness above all.

Q13. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?
JB: Draw more. Eat healthy. Exercise more. And be less careful with your heart: just go for it! (OK, that’s not just one).

Q14. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?
JB:  Off the top of my head (there are so many):
The Halloween Party by Lonzo Anderson and Adrienne Adams.  This children’s book taught me about the creepier aspects of the world, but presented it in a children’s format that was palatable but also visually stunning.
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.  She captured a sense of longing and desperation mixed with magic in the natural world that really spoke to me at the time I first read it (and still does, upon rereads).
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.  Imagine that this monster of an adventure/revenge tale was written as a serial and published over many weeks. It was the original Game of Thrones. This book heightened my sense of Romantic (not in the sense of lovey dovey romance) adventure.

Q15. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

JB: I wish someone would make a decent Robin Hood or King Arthur movie. Or any of the Greek myths, like the Trojan War stories. The source material is so good but Hollywood really messes them up. It doesn’t need much tweaking, just some really creative imaginations and someone who doesn’t go nuts with costumes, makeup, and hair. Give me real to life+the wonder of magic+good costumes, makeup, and sets+good acting. Please.

Q16.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?
JB: Honestly I have no idea. Music only inspires me every so often to draw.

Q17. Who in this life has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?
JB: My mom and dad. I remember one time, when I got started illustrating again, my dad said, “You are using the gift that God gave you.” That made me happy.

Q18. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?
JB:  In five years, I hope to be more established as an illustrator. I hope to be more secure in my job (tenured) and have a plan to keep making my life happy: finding ways to travel more, to be with friends and loved ones, and I hope to be happy in love.

Q19. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on  repeat? And why?
JB: Honestly, there’s not many on my phone now because I lost all of my music when my phone upgraded. But I have been listening to a lot of early David Bowie lately. Music is not my strong suit. I listen to what I like but I don’t know too much about it.
Q20. What color speaks to you the most and why?
JB: I’m a green girl. The color of the woods.

Q21. What is your greatest weakness?
JB: My temper.

Q22. What is your greatest strength?
JB:   My patience with and love for my friends and students. I think I’ve also gotten emotionally and mentally strong over the last many years.

Q23. What's one thing that you're proud of?
JB: I am proud of my work as a teacher. It’s the one place I allow myself real pride. 

Q24. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?
Let me be a good ______.

Q25. What is success to you?
A happy life filled with love, friends, and family. A roof over my head and healthy food in my belly. The richness of a creative mind and a body in working order with which to create the ideas my mind generates. Everything else is extra.

Lion Birthday art by Jessica Boehman


Jessica Boehman is an illustrator and Associate Professor of Art History and Fine Arts living in NYC. You can follow her work at these social media pages and sites:
facebook.com/hansmyhedgehog
Instagram: @jessicaboehman


No comments:

Post a Comment