Monday, August 19, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #57: Cinematic Integrity 8/18/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Jet AKA Cinematic Integrity

Photo courtesy of Cinematic Integrity 

Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that I’ve had the privilege of witnessing his skills and drive develop through practice, and consistency. This individual is a young up and coming animator that is well versed in his craft, acknowledging and studying from the works of various eastern and western influences. My words couldn’t describe how dedicated he is to his work, so I’ll let him speak for himself. Ladies and cyborgs of the digital sea, please welcome to the matrix, Cinematic Integrity!

Q0. Who are your inspirations?

CI: Like any artist we tend to have quite a lot haha but as of this very moment : Hiroyuki Okiura , Takeshi Honda , Kim Jung Gi , Norifumi Kugai , Haruhisa Nakata , Weilin Zhang and Bahi JD and LeSean Thomas to name a few , I’m mainly inspired by Animators and comic artist at the moment ! 

Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?

CI: Let’s see ... well my first introduction to art would be my dad as he’s an artist like myself , he introduced me to various media outlets that he was a fan of like Marvel & DC along with that of Image and the likes but also a huge fan of Disney animation. From time to time, we would visit comic book stores which contained all that a nerd could ever wish for in the form of Vinyls , VHS tapes , Comic / Manga books , Anime , film , games , Trading cards and a whole lot more goodness. And to top it all off, there I was, a weekly Cartoon / Anime watcher growing up with blocks like Cartoon Network , Toonami , 4kids and so on ! 

Q2. When did you take art seriously?

CI: I would say the end of high school , at that time I had a friend who was a really great artist at the time to me and she helped motivate me to improve but aside from that I also made up my mind after seeing Jake Parker’s video “ You don’t need a project you need a product”  that it was time to start a personal project and stick with it . 


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

CI: Visions of one day witnessing others consume the personal projects I’ll put out , plus the goals of being able to travel and meet new creative talent ! 

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

CI: My parents , artistic friends + the internet and media  ( american animation but I’d say mainly anime and live action cinema of all types along with a few select manga & American comics I grew up with ! I also have a background in dance that really helped build confidence back in my earlier school days. 

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

CI: If I were to speak to any living creator it would have to be Hiroyuki Okiura or one of his contemporaries I mean this man to me produces some of the finest work in animation i've seen period and on top of that his style is hyper realistic which I tend to admire the most in regards to learning for myself , I would love to ask him questions in regards to how he practices and studies the human form and how he manages to keep his work so consistent and grounded . Other than that I would ask Kim Jung Gi you know ...... but that’s already been debunked .... Break down , experiment and Just DO IT constantly until you get the subject !!  Oh wait, another person that I truly admire is Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa so i’d say it goes Okiura > Hideo + Yoji > Kim Jung Gi 

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

CI: Hmm .. haven’t really thought about that one but if I were to pick one , possibly Disney and ask him why he was so fascinated with the subject matter he depicted in his companies films and what he thinks of the current landscape of animation . 

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

CI: Japan baby , haha guess it’s a no brainer considering what I’m interested in but besides that I’ve had an interest in several places such as China ,Brazil along with Australia ! 

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

CI: Cicadas or any huge flying bug for that matter haha and a little bit of the future in regards of uncertainty but I believe that’s something every creator of art ponders from time to time , we just have to work around it and find what works for us in regards to keeping that fear in check . 

Q 9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

CI: The power of time travel , I’m a huge futurist or Sci-fi fan and tend to pay a lot of attention to where technology is going and anything space related like Elon’s quest to terraform Mars but also the past in regards to learning more about how the world came to be from cultures to the very formation of life .

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

CI: What they do , I tend to really be curious when it comes to how a person spends their free time and the more passionate the better ! 


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

CI: I actually figured I’d tell my younger self as in where I am right now later down the line to just stay disciplined not worry about perfecting everything because being a perfectionist in my opinion makes you take longer to do things which leads to missed out opportunities I could have capitalized on but also not to worry about appealing to my peers standards of living and instead double down on my passion so I can set up a great life for myself ! 

Society 2.0// A Noir Space Opera by Cinematic Integrity

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

CI:  Show Your Work , Steal Like An Artist , both written by Austin Kleon. I don’t read as many books as opposed to listening to podcasts so if I can say one it would be Matt D Avella’s podcast The Ground Up show which brings on creatives from all walks of life to talk about various problems, solutions , and other lifestyle topics creatives go through and has been one of many huge impacts on me self development wise ! The other two books actually helped me out when I use to have anxiety about putting my work out for others to see in regards to concepts of what originality and to not be afraid of being called out for not being . 

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

CI: Definitely Bladerunner hahaha but Watanabe already has that one covered . 

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

IC: Interesting , that’s a really tricky question for me actually but if I were to pick a few , Adrian Peace , FKA Twigs & Flying Lotus 

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

CI: YouTube personalities and creatives that speak on creative and lifestyle / self development topics such as Gary Vee, Matt D'Avella, Seth Alexander,  Bobby Chiu, Ash Thorp, Maciej , Stephen Silver. Primarily people who decided to take the unconventional path I take inspiration from the most. 

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

CI: My own place haha but to be serious  a few projects under my belt that I can share with people to inspire them on their creative journeys and connections to some of the most talented and passionate individuals in the entertainment industry 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

CI: I have a few but I’d rather save that answer for later as I see some of them being apart of current to future projects if things go well hehe. 

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

CI: Olive green and black , I’d say it’s the simplistic and natural qualities I admire about these colors haha plus I’m not a very flashy guy I tend to like more low key colors to match my minimalistic / Tech weary vibe. 

Q19: What is your greatest weakness?

CI: Great question, I would say short term pleasures like gaming for sure or binging YouTube , while they can be educational and inspiring I can easily become wrapped within the matrix of consuming things unless I forcibly make my self aware of it. Trying to find a balance between play and work is something I want to get great at . 

Q20. What is your greatest strength?

CI: Being able to enjoy my own company. 

Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?

CI: How far I’ve come in pursuit of my personal projects and focusing mainly on the two I’m working on now , it’s really surreal thinking back to how I use to be a dabbler years back  and always hop from idea to idea , never sticking to anything really in regards to art. 

Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

CI: I constantly affirm my believes that someday I will be able to share my work with people , it really means a lot to me to create and share the stories I have and hopefully leave them impacted with the feeling I receive when I consume others work , but if we’re talking short philosophical concepts they would be: Looking at life as a marathon not a sprint, life is all about perspective and that you always have control over what direction you take in life, it just starts with a repeated action. 

Q23. What is success to you?

CI: Changing the way westerners view Animation and being able to inspire the next wave of creators with my work.

Last Chance by Cinematic Integrity


You can follow his work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cinematic_integrity/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment