Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #45: Josh AKA Expression of Self 8/13/19



Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Josh AKA Expression of Self 

      Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that I came across on the digital landscape known as Instagram. I first came across his page sometime last year through a specific hashtag that I was following. What was the hashtag that I consistently followed? Simple, the hashtag was a hashtag for the band: Radiohead. Anyone that personally knows me, knows that I am a huge fan of that band and their entire discography. 
     Naturally I would see posts that came up on my feed due to the hashtag, so sometime after watching the band play live at Madison Square Garden with my co writer Jose Sanchez and his cousin Rico, all I wanted was to relive that moment. Eventually, I came across a variety of people covering Radiohead songs, which I was thrilled to see and then suddenly, I came across two guys that really caught my attention due to their guitar playing, and technicality as guitar players, matching the likes of the legendary Johnny Greenwood himself. I had the privilege of interviewing one of these talented artists (Bloom.pool).  Now the other individual is interesting because as far as I can tell, he is the youngest guest that I’ve had on the blog thus far! Yet he is skillful beyond his age, and yet humbly wise all the same. As a matter of fact, for this entry, one of them will be the focus of this interview! So who is this particular guest? Ladies, Avatars and Robots, please welcome my guest from the UK, Josh AKA Expression of Self! 

Q0. Who are your inspirations?

EoS:  That's a tough question for me. It all depends on what I'm trying to create at that moment. For example, if I'm writing lyrics, I'll be looking towards someone like Thom Yorke, Morrissey or Ed Droste from Grizzly Bear. Even then, if I'm trying to be a bit more explicit or extreme with my lyrics I'll take inspiration from Black Midi (great band btw), Death Grips and IDLES. If I'm writing a song it will be inspired by a band like Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, The Smiths, alt-J or even Sigur Rós.

Q1. How did you get into art, most notably song writing?

EoS:  I'm not really sure. Art, mainly music, has always been around me since I was young. However, I got into songwriting around a year or two ago.

Q2. When did you take guitar seriously?

EoS: I started playing guitar when I was 13 and I've just taken it further from there. I've just tried to learn more songs and also create my own music. I've also tried to do the same with other instruments like piano and drums.

Q2.1. What is your song process like? How do you begin the process?

EoS:  I wouldn't really call my method of songwriting a process. It's quite spontaneous and relies heavily on random inspiration. Sometimes it'll happen because I want to write something a little different. With a different time signature or tuning.



Q2.2. When making your own techniques, what is the biggest challenge when creating them?

EoS: I guess the biggest challenge for me is trying to be original. There's so much content that so many people want to control that it can be a little intimidating when trying to make something your own, especially in music. Additionally, finding my own style has been quite challenging. I'm still not quite sure what kind of music I want to make

Q2.3. You've performed live shows here and there, what's a consistent thing that you experience when performing live?

EoS: I'm not really sure. I guess that because I haven't performed a lot I'm not as confident as I would like to be. I've noticed that I always try and focus on what I'm doing and block out everything else.

Q2.4. What have you been experimenting with when making riffs or guitar tracks?

EoS: I've been getting into math-rock lately so that's been inspiring me to challenge myself. The best thing for me is trying open tunings and weird time signatures. 

Q2.5. Do you have a favorite guitar pedal? If so, which one and why that pedal in particular?

EoS:  It has to be either delay or loop pedals. Delay is somewhat of an enigma in the guitar world. Loop pedals seem really fun as well. Honourable mention to reverb as well as it seems to be everywhere. Bear in mind that I only have a distortion pedal and a small, cheap tuning pedal but you've gotta start somewhere.

Q2.6. When trying to create a song, what comes first? The notes and arrangements? Or the lyrics?

EoS:  Arrangements and lyrics come to me at separate times. At that point, I'll try and see which ones go together. However, sometimes there will be a song that inspires me to write something. It can be quite satisfying when the lyrics fit perfectly with the instrumental. 

Q2.7. Is there an LP or an EP in the works? If so, what should your listeners expect to hear? Any particular genres that you plan to dabble in for it?

EoS:  In short, not really. Unfortunately, I don't have the material or the confidence to record anything to that scale and any songs I do have are in a demo stage and are still growing along with me. However, I'm starting at my college in about a month, so hopefully, I can start creating some stuff. In terms of genres, it would be a singer-songwriter indie EP with a mix of folk, noise rock and math rock.

Q2.8. Is there a favorite song that you love to cover, and if so, why that particular song, and what does that song do for you when playing it?

EoS:  It would be very hard to select a single song that I like to cover. If I had to pick one it would probably be ‘Never Meant’ by American Football. It's a perfect mix of emotional response and a challenging song to play. ‘This Charming Man’ by The Smiths is also quite fun to play. Playing through IDLES's KEXP performance is also very cathartic for me. In all honesty, playing music is what does it for me so any of the songs I can play could take 1st pick for this question.

Q2.9. What's a band or act that you would be thrilled to open for? 

EoS:  There's always that wishful side of me that dreams of opening for a legendary act like Radiohead, The Cure or Johnny Marr. Then there's the pessimistic view that tells me that I'll never reach that point. I guess a more realistic dream band would be an act like IDLES, Fontaines D.C., Shame or black midi.

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

EoS:  Mainly, people. When you play music for someone and you see their reaction it really improves your confidence. Discovering someone through music is really cool, like me discovering Liam (aka Bloom/Pool). The community surrounding the music we all love is also really inspiring. It instils hope in a very dark world.

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

EoS:  A combination of the people around me and music. Music has taught me a lot. It's been the only real consistent thing in my life. So I've had to turn to music a lot of times.

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

EoS:  I'd probably talk to Sir Paul McCartney or Thom Yorke. They are amazing artists. I think Paul would have a myriad of interesting stories. I'd love to talk politics with Thom. I'd love to talk to Joe Talbot from IDLES as well


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

EoS:  I would probably be quite mainstream with that kind of privilege. People like Kurt Cobain, William Shakespeare, John Lennon, David Bowie. 

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

EoS:  I'd go somewhere like Tokyo, New York, Norway. Really nice places. Kind of standard places

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

EoS:  I'm quite paranoid. The future is quite terrifying with the rapid advancements in technology. Dictatorship is quite scary as well. A more normal one would be fear of spiders.

Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

EoS:  I think superpowers are a little overrated. I think that, if given the chance, I wouldn't use a superpower to the best of its ability. I'd like to control time in a rather selfish way. If I ever make mistakes I could always rewind and make it better. But there is the time travel theory that if you change one thing a chain reaction will follow.

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

EoS:  I'm not really sure. Probably how confident they are. Kindness is heavily underrated in my opinion so I really appreciate that in other people

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

EoS:  Stop caring so much about everything. Prioritise music and learn music theory

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

EoS:  I don't really read books. I'm the same with films. People are often dumbfounded when I tell them that I don't watch movies. However, I do really want to read George Orwell's 1984.

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

EoS:  I'd probably go with Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Again, I haven't really seen that many movies and so I can't give this question the attention it deserves.

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

EoS:  I'd love to see The Beatles' White Album or The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots made into a film. The latter would also probably make a great comic. Radiohead's Kid A is also a good shout.

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

EoS:  My friends have been supportive of my music. My family hasn't been as supportive. I think playing live is the main inspiration behind me continuing music.

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

EoS:  A lot can happen in five years. I see myself finishing University, most realistically. But I'd love to see myself in a decent band and touring

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

EoS:  Very hard question to answer. I'm going to say both albums and songs. For albums, I'm going to have to say Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun, Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights, Death Grips - The Money Store. For songs, Grizzly Bear - ‘Two Weeks’, American Football - ‘Never Meant’, Björk - ‘Jóga’.

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

EoS:  Red is my favourite colour. However, I think pink speaks a lot to me. It's still a little taboo and has a bit of social baggage. Blue speaks a lot to me as well

Q19: What is your greatest weakness?

EoS:  I doubt myself too much. I overthink quite a lot which can impact my decisions a bit.

Q20. What is your greatest strength?
EoS:  I'm quite obsessive when I discover an artist. I learn all about them and dive fully into their discography and their past. I'm quite committed when I try to learn a new song. 

Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?

EoS:  I'm completely self-taught musically which I'm quite proud of. I can learn music fairly quickly which I think is pretty cool.

Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

EoS:  It doesn't get better. You get better. 

Q23. What is success to you?

EoS: Having a meaningful impact on other people whilst enjoying what you do. I think it is our collective responsibility to try and make the world a bit better for someone.

You can follow his work on these platforms such as :


No comments:

Post a Comment