Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #46: Santiago Lenis 8/13/19



Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Santiago Lenis


Photo courtesy of Santiago Lenis


    Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that I am fortunate to have on this digital landscape that I call my blog. This individual is someone that I’ve known as a fellow student during my time as a Fine Art major, and I had the privilege of collaborating with him during our time on the 2017 Mural Project in Elmhurst in which previous interviewee, Diana Sadova also worked on as his partner for the project.  He is a painter, he is an illustrator, he is a tattoo artist, and he is a working class artist. John Lennon once said, a working class hero is something to be, and I think as a working class artist, he is most certainly one at that. Ladies and Avatars of cyberspace, please welcome Santiago Lenis!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?

SL: My inspiration come from literally every medium I am attracted to. In terms of painting some of my idols are Gustav Klimt, Picasso, Caravaggio and Rembrandt. In terms of music I am inspired by the great bands of the 70’s and 80’s like Zeppelin , Pink Floyd , Rolling Stones and More. I am usually inspired by people who are dedicated to creating beautiful things, Whether it being an anime director like Hayao Miyazaki or an Opera singer like Andrea Bocelli. Although some of my inspirations aren’t visual artists or even artists in general I get inspired by the thought of people aiming towards pure self expression in whatever medium they choose to do that with.


Q1. How did you get into art?

SL: I get asked this a lot but honestly there is not a concrete answer. I can remember drawing and being into “artistic” stuff from a very early age. I remember my father drawing a few things for my brother and I, the few times I actually saw him. Which is a bittersweet thing. Maybe that’s where it all stems from.

Q2. When did you take art seriously?

SL: I guess I always took art seriously. But I would say choosing the School of Visual Arts and entering the BFA program in Fine Art. I guess that’s the moment in which I knew I was going to be a working artists no matter the odds.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

SL: Many beautiful things drive me in my daily life. I would say music, cinematography, and people. Those are the main things. I find my drive comes from the emotional states I get into. I believe emotions drive people better than anything out there.

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

SL: I would say my family. I was raised to be a respectful and loving person. A very detailed oriented individual and that holds true to this day. I would say that some tragic events also mold you as much if not more than happy memories. We all have ups and downs in life and ultimately it makes us who we are.
  
Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

SL: I think it would have to be Hayao Miyazaki. I think he is truly brilliant and I would love to know what goes on in his head. Maybe Robert Plant as well just to hear some crazy stories!


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

SL: It would have to be the blues/jazz singer and pianist, Nina Simone. She’s an inspiration in every sense of the word. I love her music, her tragic story and her messages. I would love to sit down and tell her just how much she has impacted my life!

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

SL: Definitely Japan. I’ve loved anime since I was a little kid and I would love to go to the root of it all. Not only that, I am also appreciative of the culture, food and beautiful sites!

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?
  
SL: I used to fear death, but now I truly feel not making an impact before I die. Maybe having kids and helping them be great people. Or impacting people through my tattoos and art enough to be remembered.

Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

SL: I would be to live forever. Sure other super powers are cooler and flashier but I would want to live a long time in order to do everything there is to do. I love learning. Learning never stops and I would want to know about everything that interests me and be able to help people with that knowledge. Almost be like a sage like figure to guide the world towards a better place.

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?
  
SL: I believe the way people express themselves is one of the most important things. I believe in energy and certain people just have a beautiful energy and wonder to them. I love meeting those types of people. They are usually all artists in their own unique way! I believe we all are to an extent!
   
Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

SL: To not take time for granted. Now that i'm in my early 20’s I wish I would have taken certain things more seriously. Time is the only true valuable resource we have in this life. It is the thing that levels all other things and the one inevitability of life.

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

SL: It would be The Power of Now , The autobiography of Nina Simone And The Outsiders. Each of these books have played a special part at different stages in my life. They have helped me at certain points and given me perspective on things.


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

SL: It would be the Berserk series. I love the first season of the anime but I would love to keep going with the manga and finish it properly.

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?
  
SL: It would be a Fleet Foxes Album. Any of them really. Sort of a grandiose movie about transcendence and beauty.

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

SL: It would have to be my mother. As simplistic as this answer is, it is true. I adore my mom and she has pushed me to follow my passions and stay true to myself always.

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

SL: I just hope to be happy and healthy. I tend not to look too far ahead or too far back since life is lived in the NOW.

Q18. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

SL: Songs would be “Have a Cigar” Pink Floyd, “Polly” Nirvana and “Simple Man” by Lynyrd Skynyrd. And there's not really a reason why, they just sound good to me. I love all types of music genres so I pretty much listen to everything. Music is an important part of my life and it keeps me motivated. I just love listening to something with emotion behind it.


Q19. What color speaks to you the most and why?

SL: None, It would have to be black, because that’s the color of my soul.
  
Q20.What's one thing that you're proud of?
  
SL: The fact that I am a self taught tattoo artist.

Q21. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

SL: To always keep my self-expression pure and open as much as I can. We only have one lifetime, that we know of, to express ourselves and give the world a taste of US. Unique and pure self-expression.


Painting by Santiago Lenis


  You can follow his work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/santiagolenistattoo/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment