Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #50: Nyasia Vandross 8/12/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee:  Nyasia Vandross 

Self Portrait courtesy of Nyasia Vandross


    Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest as I am fortunate to consistently have, and this one is no exception. This individual is a fellow alumni that I’ve had the opportunity to witness her development during our time as Fine Art students. During that time, I would retreat to the computer lab to work on projects at the college, and always crossed paths with this individual that was always working away on photoshop. Always focused with altering her own illustrations, and enhancing them from one medium to another, she was always hard at work, and I always witnessed that. But she is not just an illustrator, she is also so much more! Ladies and Robots, please welcome to the digital landscape, Nyasia Vandross! 

Q0. Who are your inspirations?

NV: For a while it was Markus Prime and Carlos Martiel, but that kind of died down since I started looking at black women artists. Right now I’m really into Doreen Garner and Simone Leigh (totally geeked out when I saw her work at the high line)

Q1. How did you get into art, most notably in the various forms of the performing arts? 

NV: I’ve been dancing since I was 7. I was really quick at picking up patterns at a very young age so my mom put me into dance classes. It really picked up and became more of a profession when I got into middle school, taking dance classes in an after school program taught by my mentor Maurice Dean/Moe (who sadly passed away a few years ago). I got into visual arts my last two years of high school. I had a teacher named Amy Kaminski who introduced me to sculpture, and from there on I took art as a serious profession. 

Q2. When did you take dancing choreography, and illustration seriously?

NV: Lol I kind of already answered this in Q1, but I’d like to say that I did NOT go to an art school. I was a regular talented school girl.

Q2.1. What was it like having to learn choreography? What were the challenges that accompanied your craft?

NV: Oh boy, honestly I probably wouldn’t have been a dancer if I wasn’t pushed to overcome failure. When I became a member of Hip Hop Theory the dance company, I was surrounded by people older than me so of course the dances were gonna be much more complicated than I was used to. It was really difficult for my 11year old mind and I wanted to quit multiple times.

Q2.2. How disciplined did you have to become and what was the benefits in being disciplined in your respective crafts?

NV: I really don’t know why but I was always highly mature for my age, and once I learned that failure was ok then nothing really stopped me but myself. I think because I was already disciplined that I gained more trust and respect from others. Especially those who usually question why art.

Q2.3. In regards to illustration, what themes resurface throughout your body of work? And why does it appeal to you?

NV: My last year of college I really got hooked onto the passing of black trauma and where the new generation can break the cycle just by exposing the patterns of the  generations before. I also work on current events within the black community.

Q2.4. Was there ever a point where you struggled to choose between choreography and illustration? And if so, how did you reconcile the fact that you can do both and not be limited?

NV: I’d say senior year of high school, when everyone is pressuring you to choose what you’re supposed to do in life. I was a great dancer, but I only liked doing hip hop. My body wasn’t flexible enough or well trained in the fields that dance schools expect (yes those step up movies are slightly true, hip hop dancers are not always seen as a profession unless they need you in a music video). Not to say I didn’t try but it felt wrong, I could always dance in crews and companies so I went to study visual art.

Q2.5. What other endeavors would you like to dabble in aside from the ones that you already have a hand in?

NV: I am actually a sculptor and is now dabbling in illustration. There’s also a few things I want to learn before the year ends: skateboarding, cause I’m always terrified & learning a few songs on the guitar!

Q2.6. What is one thing that always pops up in your mind as you Illustrate and as you dance?

NV: “Another day another creation” Honestly I black out once I get an idea.

Q2.7. How has your journey in dance impact your journey as an illustrator /content creator and vice versa?

NV: It enhanced it. I went into college not mentioning dance so I wouldn’t get stuck to the title as a dancer but as an artist. But somehow my second school found out (if you google/youtube search my name you’ll understand). So from there I went into video performance, but that was too easy for me. My last show I found a way to combine dance, video performance, and sculpture. Best thing I created so far!

Q2.8. How do you remain grounded as not just an artist but as a person?

NV: Truthfully I have no clue, it might be the hardest thing to do because everyone just recognizes me as an artist. Everyone wants to know my next move. Even if a take a moment to smell the roses I’m thinking of the next design. It’s tricky but I think surrounding yourself with other artists (visual, performing, music) is great because we know when to stop talking about art lol!

Q2.9. what projects do you have in the pipeline that readers should keep an eye out for? 

NV: Since I’m out of school I’ve been working on illustrations, making friends into creatures. Eventually I want to make a comic strip but I’m still working on a story that would be interesting.

Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

NV: Being able to wake up, and knowing life isn’t a race.

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

NV: Everyone I’ve crossed paths with, they’ve all given me an experience that I have learned from.

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

NV: Andre 3000, Eryka Badu, Jcole, willow. There’s a few others but I just want to pick at their minds, they speak on a different level.

Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

NV: Prince, I think that would be an interesting conversation. He’s just cool on many levels.

Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

NV: I love ancient Egyptian art so that would be the first place, then I’d go to the Caribbean. Their food is amazing and their ocean is so clear, New York is so dirty lol.

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

NV: What happens to my thoughts and processes after death.

Q 9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

NV: I am a fire sign, but I think I’d be evil if I had the power of fire. Wouldn’t want speed because everyone would want me to get them something. And I despise roller coasters so flight is a big no. I think shapeshifting would be really fun, I could get into any place I wanted!

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

NV: People’s energy. My body naturally catches others energy which is a blessing and a curse.

Art courtesy of Nyasia Vandross

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

NV: Don’t ever stop being creative just because people don’t understand, stupid girl!

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

NV: I only like reading fantasy, thriller and comics/manga. There’s this one manga I never finished called Monster by Naoki Urasawa, it was crazy! The Summoning series by Kelley Armstrong, my books are torn from reading it so many times. Recently I’ve been into these romantic comic strips on webtoons and I cannot stop myself. Send help!

Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?

NV: Any Vh1 documentary movies, those were horrible.

Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

NV: Xavier Omar! I love his music. Or Nao, she’s amazing and her visuals are already super dope. I also like the direction Solange is going in with all the dancers, that’d be cool too.

Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

NV: my mom, my boyfriend, and Moe s.i.p <— they keep me sane from world domination :D

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

NV: Working in galleries/ museums with my masters in curating degree! Maybe get a cat named Deku and a snake named Todoroki.

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

NV: “Blind Man”- Xavier Omar, “Wish You Would”- Marian Hill, “Sucker”- Jonas Brothers( gotta love them).
P.S. my friends are highly talented so I’m just gonna shout out my favorite songs from them. “Claws”- Jusstice & “Permission” - Bairi (both on iTunes)

Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?
NV: Literally answered these questions in purple lol. They say purple is the way the spiritual world connects to you, I also really like the color.

Q19: What is your greatest weakness?

NV: My greatest weakness is I’m overly independent, it annoys me when someone helps without asking even if I know I’ll say no. I think I’m superwoman, blame my mom :) but I’ve been working on it. 

Q20. What is your greatest strength?

NV: Quick and creative. My eyes move really quick which helps me see things before others (my actual super power) it helps me think quick too.

Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?

NV: My goddamn self! Just knowing how far I’ve come as a person makes me really happy. 

Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

NV: “You’re beautiful, you’re amazing, you got this, let’s do this” - the majority of the time I walk past my reflection.

Q23. What is success to you?


NV: Finding peace anywhere you go.

Sculpt by Nyasia Vandross


You can follow and support her work on these pages:



No comments:

Post a Comment