Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #58: Kenny Wong 8/21/19



Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Kenny Wong

Photo courtesy of Kenny Wong. 
Photography by Ben Franke



     Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who I happened to discover through Kelso, a fellow comic book fan that works at Forbidden Planet. One day I was going through Instagram, and I saw Kelso post an Image of his friend showcasing art that he was commissioned to create. The image was of Mr Miracle, a DC Comics character that found new found popularity under the reigns of Tom King and Mitch Geralds acclaimed mini series. Through that, I was able to discover this individuals work, and man, I was super impressed! 


   His use of color tones, and his technical linework was enough to catch my attention. He has a Mucha vibe to his work that crosses the boundaries between Fine Art and comic, creating the perfect artistic marriage. He is an indie comic book creator who is actually much more than the occupation. He has dabbled in other fields beyond comics, and It’s safe to say that his is a story worth hearing, as I think you’ll be surprised and learn something as well as I did conducting this interview with this said artist. Ladies and Androids of the digital landscape, please welcome Kenny Wong!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?


KW:  Where do I start?? First off my mentors outside of art, Sifu Chuck Jeffreys and Roberto Lopez. I work as a freelance stuntman (If you can believe that!!). From when I started to the present, they’ve encouraged me to think outside the box by encouraging me to explore so many things in life that made me what I am today. When I got on instagram I befriended and conversed with the likes of great artists like Eliza Ivanova, Claire Wendling, Jonboy Meyers, Lewis Larosa, Dan Panosian, & Anand RK. They were super generous and kind with their support and encouragement with their time. There’s so many artists, directors, cinematographers, photographers and musicians that I am into that all have some impact over me and my work so I incorporate a bit of everything I love and work my way to creating my own ‘voice’ or ‘style’ into my work.


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?


KW: I’ve been drawing since I was 2 from what my mom told me. I also think I got the art bug from her as she used to draw when she was younger. I used to love drawing trucks from what I remember. Then Star Wars came out and I drew Stormtroopers and Darth Vader a lot. Then I discovered a batch of comics in my mom’s room and got my very first comic in Detective Comics (538 or was it 541??) by the great Gene Colan. 


   After that I made my own comics as a kid by scribbling in my school books. Writing, It was only recently that I took up writing. I wouldn’t even consider myself a pro. I’m still figuring things out. I’ve been learning as I went along while writing my own book. It doesn’t hurt that I’m friends with Junot Diaz, Marjorie Liu and Damian Fitzsimmons who’ve influenced my writing and helped in some capacity. I spent a good 2 years writing and reworking my first book along with mapping out the entire series. Hardest and definitely the most challenging thing I’ve ever done!!

Akuma panel art by Kenny Wong



Q2. What inspired you to pursue comic books seriously as a career?


KW: When I first started reading comics, I always dreamt I would draw for one of the big companies one day. I fell off in my early 20’s after dropping out of School of Visual Arts in NYC. Art school put me in a mental place that made me give up. Which was the worst thing I could have done. I started drawing again when I was living in Germany about 8 or so years ago? I was a foreigner in a new place and couldn’t work legally so I was home a lot. I ended up drawing to pass the time for fun. I always kept drawing as a personal thing since. From real life, drawing keeps me grounded and balanced. It wasn’t until my previous relationships, I was encouraged to do something with it. That’s when I decided, why not? Plus I was inspired by Bill Watterson and Jeff Smith whose works got me interested in comics again. But on an indie level.


Q2.1. What are the challenges that you have experienced as an indie artist/ creator?


KW: Balancing my day job as a freelance stuntman and then finding the time and energy after to draw my book. It takes a lot out of me and I feel when I spend too much time away from drawing, I need to work hard to get back on a steady pace again as well as get that excitement I felt when working on a page. It’s definitely challenging for me as an indie creator/artist since I’m taking the difficult road and going for self-publishing. What was the saying? If it was easy, it’s not worth doing.

Thanos art by Kenny Wong



Q2.2. How did your experiences inform and influence your content/work?


KW: Everything outside of artistic influence has influenced me in some capacity or another. All these tiny details make a big difference. Sequential art, fine art, literature, photography, cinema, music, stunts, martial arts, almost everything adds to my work. Whether it be a technique with pencil, a brush stroke, drawing anatomy, pacing, composition, you name it! Most important for me is after I absorb all I’ve learned to inject myself into the work so I don’t come off as just a copy of someone I was influenced by.



Q2.3. As an illustrator, what has changed for you in regards to style and drive as a creator?


KW: I think I am not as ‘cartoony’ as I used to be? Without sounding pretentious, I’m trying to not be too ‘comic book-y’ if that makes sense. I’ve been seeking my own approach, or ‘voice’ to drawing comics. I want my work to feel alive and always ‘moving’ in some cinematic way. That’s something I really love about Otomo Katsuhiro’s work on Akira. And Moebius! I’m motivated by storytelling.


Q2.4. What kind of genres do you tend to dabble in and how much of it has seeped into your independent projects that you have in the works?


KW: I love fantasy and science fiction. My personal book I’m working on is very fantasy driven. I love Final Fantasy, Akira, Domu, Seven Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Lord of the Rings, Kingdom of Heaven, Bladerunner, and Star Wars. I love the textures and colors like Wong Kar Wai’s Ashes of Time. I’ve spent a lot of time building my world from being influenced by these genres. There’s a lot of thought and imagination being put into creating the book.



Q2.5. What is a common misconception that aspiring artists tend to have in regards to the indie comics scene? What should young artists consider in regards to their portfolio, pitches and work?


KW:  I really don’t have an answer for that. I’m still figuring things out myself as an indie comics creator. If anything, I’ve been approached by other aspiring creators with pitches and I can suggest that your portfolio be organized and to the point. Think about how you want to sell it to the company you want to pitch it to. As they see tons of pitches I’m sure. So you need to consider the amount of time you have to get their attention and interest.


 Rejection is also something I hear a lot that’s talked about. Which I feel is definitely important. We have to accept rejection as not the end. I remember sending a submission to a comic studio in my twenties and getting a rejection letter. I was so devastated for sure. I looked back at my work that I submitted today and think, oh man! Yeah! I know why I got rejected! Just keep working on yourself. We need to know as artists, we have to keep drawing to grow. We’re never as good as we think we are and there’s no instant success right out the gate.


Q2.6. In regards to commision work as an illustrator, what is the most rewarding aspect about commissions? What are the downsides to commision work? Is there a piece that you're most proud of and if so, why?


KW: I’m just flattered someone thinks my work is good enough to pay me for it! That’s reward enough for me. I’m so self critical of my work so it’s hard for me to be happy with what I do. Downside is, I put so much stress on myself because I don’t want to disappoint the person requesting the commission. I did a Mr. Miracle commission I’m pretty happy with. Also, Endeavour from My Hero Academia. At the time I didn’t know what that even was. I’m a fan now.

Mister Miracle art by Kenny Wong



Q2.7. is there a comic project in the works? If so, what is the goal of the book? What themes are you attempting to explore and experiment with?


KW: I have a graphic novel series I am working on. The goal is for me to write and draw this book and put it out there and know I did it! From there, it depends if people respond positively to it. If it works out, I hope to make my own personal Akira out of it. As for themes, or what I want to explore? It’s fantasy. I want to explore identity and acceptance. Things I’ve struggled with growing up.


Q2.8. in regards to social media, what do you think creators should take advantage of, but also, be wary of? And how has it impacted your work as a creative?


KW:  Social Media has it’s pros and cons. Indie and pro creators definitely benefit from it by building their fanbase by sharing their work through social media. Interacting with the growing fanbase and supporting your work. On the other hand, it can be dangerous because it can affect you if you depend too much on the numbers of followers and likes you get on your posts. I feel you need to take it with a grain of salt and not get caught up in the toxic culture of social media. Also, managing your time on social media. As an artist, time is important so making sure that I invest it in being productive and not being caught up on Social Media for too long. 


   For me, because of Instagram, interacting with other pros and people who like my work, it’s helped me keep going knowing there are people who think I’m good enough. And it also pushes me to be better.  I strive to keep growing as an artist. I don’t want to dishonor the pros that have been generous with me and have them feel they’ve wasted their time on me. That is another plus with Social Media. You can interact with the people you are influenced by and getting guidance to evolve as an artist. I really enjoy connecting and being in a community of like minded people that feels nurturing and encouraging.


Q2.9. Is there any other projects that you have down the pipeline that your readers should keep an eye out for? What can you reveal about the project? 


KW: I’m working on a D&D comic with two local writers here in NYC. It’s called Normac & Silverkin. I’ve done a 2-page preview for them already as well as done some character design work for the comic to kick things off. It’s still in the works so I really don’t want to give too much away other than that it’s a D&D based comic. I may have a couple of other side projects too. Schedule depending. Aside from that, my book is my priority at the moment.

Normac & Silverkin pg1 preview art by Kenny Wong

Normac & Silverkin pg2 preview art by Kenny Wong



Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


KW: Art drives me. I just love seeing other people’s work and that is so inspiring to me. To see people do different and innovative things creatively. It blows my mind. Whether it be Eliza’s raw, elegant and expressive pencil work, to Jonboy’s dynamic figures that pop out the page. Anton Corbijn’s sensual B/W photography, the discipline and hard work training in martial arts or the deeply layered philosophy of life in Kurosawa’s movies. Life in general. Early 2018 I had knee surgery, and I was out of commission and unable to work. I made it a routine to get up early every day, go to the local coffee shop in the neighborhood and draw in my sketchbook all morning to the afternoon. I filled up a thick sketchbook in a year or so. That alone gave me so much drive to continue even when I got back on my feet.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


KW: The experiences I’ve had in life. The people in my life. Everything we go through, the good and the bad, has some profound learning experience for us and it gives us so much knowledge. The choices we make the actions we take. That’s why we shouldn’t give up so easily. Life is a challenge and we need to find a solution to each challenge and overcome. If we all had things so easy, I think life would be boring. That’s the martial artists in me talking.


Q5. If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


KW: I kind of already am. I’m so fortunate and humbled when I have a conversation about figure drawing with Eliza. Or I’ll be talking to Jonboy about his linework. Sometimes it doesn’t even have to be art. We’re just talking random topics. I would love to meet Otomo Katsuhiro! I don’t know what I’d say to him. I’d probably make a fool of myself. I’ve been fortunate to work on Dark Knight Rises and got directed by Christopher Nolan. Watching him and Wally Pfister set up shots on set. I worked on the Dave Chappelle Show and saw how quick Dave was to improv his lines. Those were great learning experiences for me I would never trade for anything. At the end of the day, they’re all people too and they have experiences that informed their work and when they share that with us, we listen, we absorb and we go out and apply.

Monstress art by Kenny Wong



Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


KW: I’m not even sure if I’d be able to approach them if they were alive. It would be intimidating. Though, I would have loved to meet Gene Colan. I would have my mind blown to have sat in a studio and watch Prince make his music. Or watch Mucha or Klimt produce their masterpieces. Watch Kurosawa direct Seven Samurai. Listening to DT Suzuki speak on Zen Buddhism. Man!


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?


KW: I still want to go to Japan. I’m such an Otaku fan and I have yet to visit. I also want to go to Prague and see Mucha’s Slav Epic.


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


KW: To stop growing. I don’t want to get to a point where I am content and settle on being mediocre. There is always something new to learn. I’m afraid that my work will look the same and that it gets boring.


Q9. If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


KW: I don’t know. I guess I’ll go with the popular answer of flying. I’d love to be able to fly anywhere. I would also add invulnerability too in case I crash so I don’t kill myself. Or to keep from getting killed when people try to shoot me out of the sky. Ha!


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


KW: Their energy. I’m introverted but I can be social too. There’s a lot of superficiality out there and it turns me off. I’m drawn to people who are real and down-to-earth.


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


KW: Grow a spine. Haha!


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


KW: DT Suzuki’s Zen & Japanese Culture for philosophy of life. The Book of Five Rings for samurai spirit and discipline. And Akira for how it still is the template for making my book.


Lone Wolf and Cub art by Kenny Wong


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


KW: I wouldn’t remake or continue any movies. Making movies is hard enough.


Q14. If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


KW: I’ve entertained the idea of making a video from the feelings I get from listening to Tool’s Lateralus. There’s a lot that’s too many to list here.


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


KW: My sifu Chuck, Eliza Ivanova and Jonboy Meyers.


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


KW: The book is out, people like it and I make more. I finally have a house with a room big enough to convert into my own art studio. And I am still doing martial arts.


Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


KW: Massive Attack’s Mezzanine. Tool’s Lateralus. And a mix I made of Marvin Gaye songs. Because they all get me going.


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


KW: I think Grey. Maybe it’s because I am a neutral kind of person?


Street Fighter page layout by Kenny Wong


Q19: What is your greatest weakness?


KW: I think I can be my own worst enemy. I’m so self critical of myself. I am never happy with my work. I’m always striving to be better. Which can be dangerous. I’ve realized lately that I need to just let things go at a certain point and move on or I’ll never get anything done.


Q20. What is your greatest strength?


KW: Being self critical. It’s made me mature and evolve as an artist.


Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?


KW: Can I answer that after I am done with the book?


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


KW: The mantra my sifu shared with me: living, moving and adapting.


Q23. What is success to you?


KW: I don’t like to think of success. Success is the end of your aims and goals. It sounds like you stop growing at that point. I like to think once you’ve reached your goals you can move on to the next challenge of maturity and growth.


Street Fighter layout wip by Kenny Wong

You can Follow Kenny Wong's work on these pages:


No comments:

Post a Comment