Thursday, August 1, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #38: Ashley Moran 8/1/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr

Interviewee: Ashley Moran 

Self Portrait by Ashley Moran 


Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest that is family to me because she actually is! She is an interior designer, and an illustrator amongst other creative names. She’s one of many family members of mine who also has artistic attributes that she has begun exploring more of, and to witness such growth is always a joy to see. An artist in her own right, ladies and bots of cyber space, please welcome, my cousin, the artist, Ashley Moran!


Q0. Who are your inspirations?

AM: People who I believe to true to themselves inspire me. People who live creatively inspire me. People who use their skills and abilities to create something bigger than themselves inspire me. My inspirations change all the time and no one is perfect but: Sia, Tim Burton, Jim Carrey, Kanye West, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ashton Kutcher. Also, Hayao Miyazaki, Stanley Kubrick, Stephen King, Takashi Murakami, Danny Elfman and Guillermo del Toro. 

Q1. How did you get into art?

AM: I actually used to want to be a fashion designer when I was entering middle school but was talked out of it by well-meaning but misguided adults who felt that any creative career was a bad idea. A part of me always wanted to be a creative person in general and I explored interior design and dance as a young adult. I always wished I could draw/create but I really decided to “get into it” after watching Lauren Tsai on the show Terrace House. I saw her create things that I wish I could create and thought, “Ok, I should at least try this.”


Q2. When did you take art seriously?

AM: I began intentionally practicing and learning only about a year and a half ago. I was at a point in my life where I desperately needed something to hold on to and to look forward to. I needed a reason to continue trying to live, as dramatic as that may sound, and I decided art should be it. 


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?

AM: The idea that what I choose to do every day, matters for what my life is going to look like in the future. I read that on the Internet or maybe a self help book or podcast and it really stuck with me. 

Q4. What made you the person that you are today?

AM: So many things! I think the most transformative thing about my earlier life is growing up in the projects in East Harlem and then being thrown into a fancy college while simultaneously having my parents move far away from me at the age of 18/19. I had to become financially and emotionally independent really quickly. I have also experienced amazing blessings and devastating blows and all of this together has made me who I am.  

Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?

AM: This is tricky because “they” say you should never meet your heroes. Either way, I would love the opportunity to sit down and talk to Tim Burton about everything. I would ask everything from where he gets his ideas from to what he believes is his best/worst work to what his favorite food is and what time he goes to bed. Deep questions, menial questions, everything.


Q6. If there were any deceased creators, actors, singers, writers, etc. that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?

AM: Stanley Kubrick. I know he is not a warm and fuzzy personality but I just would love to pick his brain and try to understand his creative process. 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

AM: Iceland with the guarantee that I would see the Northern Lights AND whales on the same trip. 

Q8. What is one thing that you fear?

AM: Wasting time. 

Q 9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?

AM: I would want to be able to hold my breath for an unlimited amount of time/be able to withstand pressure so that I can explore the entire ocean freely and without equipment. I guess that means I want to be a free diver but like, the ultimate free diver without limits.

Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?

AM: The manner in which they introduce themselves. Do they wave? Shake hands? Hug? Kiss? Nod? Smile? Did they even introduce themselves at all? 

Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?

AM: This is so cliché but “Pursue your dreams.” Honestly, I wish I could shake my younger self and convince her that she should do anything her heart desires. I would make her understand that there is something that could be said for being realistic and practical BUT that her entire future is not just about a career. 

Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?

AM: The Rules of Magic, Jurassic Park and The Untethered SoulThe Rules of Magic holds such an important message that I am trying to internalize. The Untethered Soul is my favorite self-help book (and I have read A LOT of self-help books). Jurassic Park is just an awesome story. 


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice?

AM: Remakes/continuations of movies and franchises actually terrify me so I will respectfully leave this question unanswered. Sometimes you need to leave good enough alone.


Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?

AM: I would like to watch a movie based on John Mayer songs with the caveat that the movie can’t be a blockbuster romcom. So many of his lyrics are beautiful and I would love to see a quality film that makes me feel what some of his lyrics make me feel. 

Q15. Who in this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?

AM: Definitely my husband. He has always consistently called me out when I shy away from what I truly love out of fear. He believes in me at all times, even when I don’t believe in myself. 

Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

AM: I hope to be able to generate some sort of profit and/or awareness and/or action from my art. In short, I want to be able to use my creativity to aid in wildlife conservation/ocean conservation. That’s the end game for the artistic part of my life. In all other areas, I have no set plan besides continuing to evolve as a person and as a couple with my husband, whatever that may be. 

Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?

AM: My taste in music isn’t very interesting and I’m sure it would make most grown adults roll their eyes but I can’t stop listening to Billie Eilish's WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? and Ariana Grande’s “Sweetener” and “thank u, next.” I have no other reason besides I just love the albums and I’ve made a personal connection with many of the songs on them.


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?

AM: Millennial Pink because I hate to love it. My husband and I have a running joke where I consistently try to convince myself that it is not my favorite color but in reality, I am always drawn to it. 

Q19.What's one thing that you're proud of?

AM: Surviving the pain I experienced in 2017. I don’t mean to be mysterious about it but it just was the most challenging year of my life and I can’t believe my life didn’t end there.


Q20. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

AM: “Do as you will, but harm no one. What you give will be returned to you threefold. Fall in love whenever you can.”

It’s not really a mantra but I try to live by this each day.

You can follow her work on Instagram: 


No comments:

Post a Comment