Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #41: Diana Sadova 8/7/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Diana Sadova


Photo courtesy of Diana Sadova



Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who I’ve known during my time as a Fine Arts student, who is also a fellow alumni of mine. I had the privilege of working with her and many other skilled artists for a mural project that was dedicated to providing art to the community of Elmhurst. Through that project I was able to bear witness not just the creative talent on display, but also the mind behind the various crafts and mediums that exudes from this individual. Ladies, Robots, Avatars, I present to all of cyberspace, Diana Sadova!

Q0. Who are your inspirations?


DS: Artists of different genres who have their own completely unique, one of a kind visions of the world. I’m talking about filmmakers, who invented specific styles, artists, who came up with their own techniques, musicians, who were willing to experiment - people who simply had the courage to do things they wanted and stayed loyal to what they believed in.


Q1. How did you get into art?


DS: I grew up in a very artistic family. My dad was a music producer and an artist. My mom graduated from an art school. My grandma is a poetess. Growing up I was always surrounded by art and literature; hence it was always a natural habitat for me.


Q2. When did you take art seriously?


DS: I always did. I was particularly stubborn telling people that I want art to be a part of what I do
professionally, and I was always very protective about it. I never let anyone convince me that art is “not serious” and it “won’t be a financially stable base for you”. I believe that if you are smart enough you can find a way to apply what you like to what you can do, get profit, and be happy.


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


DS: Beauty in the details. I spend lots of time focusing on small things (which people usually call daydreaming). I see beauty in sunlight that comes between tree leaves, in small cracks in the wall, weird shape of a cup I drink my morning coffee from. I think about shapes, forms, and colors, what sound this thing has, what makes it be here and how the presence of this detail here and now is probably as important as my own presence. Small things remind me of the importance of my own existence and how we all are pieces of a big puzzle.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


DS: A particular order of fortunate and unfortunate events that made me acquire taste for changes, meet people, loose people, learn, grow, endure, enjoy, and be who I was meant to be.

Q5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?


DS: Iceland. I have a list of places I’d love to visit but Iceland is my number one choice. For some reason, Iceland was my escape plan for many many years. Since I was a kid a had this mantra in my head that “if something goes wrong you can always run to Iceland”. Perhaps the “Otherworldliness” of the country attracted me the most, but even obvious things like language, culture, people, history of this country just seem so right to me. I’d love to spend some time living there.


Q6. What is one thing that you fear?


DS: Inability to control my mental state when I have to go through hardships.


Q7. If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


DS: Telepathy or Psychometry (perhaps because a complete understanding of other people’s minds and their personalities would give me an opportunity to choose the right approach to every single
individual).


Q8. What catches your attention when you meet people?


DS: Eyes. Sound of the voice. If a person is close enough, I pay attention to how he/she smells (weird, I know)


Q9. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


DS: Trust your judgment and don’t be so naïve.


Q10. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


DS: 1. Mikhail Bulgakov’s “Master and Margarita” – I lost count of how many times I’ve read it. The book itself is one complete mystery – it scares you, but you can’t give it up. Reading it I always feels like I participate in a conversation with God and Devil. It affected me greatly when I was a kid and made me question many things in my life.


2. “Arch of Triumph” by Erich Maria Remarque – this book is just my comfort zone. I read it to
come back to who I am again. The events described in the book are tragic, yet I feel like I’ve
personally witnessed them, and Remarque just builds a bridge to my memories over and over
again.


3. “Someplace to be Flying” by Charles de Lint – this was my favorite book since I was 12 years old. After this book I read 16 other books by this author. This piece reminds me of the importance of storytelling, it gives you a sense that magic is happening all around you, and, if you’re attentive
enough, you’ll see it in the smallest details.


Q11. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


DS: I wouldn’t ever do that. I generally don’t like when production studios decide on making sequels/ prequels/ remakes/ 2 nd or 3 rd parts…they kill the authenticity of the original piece and give audience an option to compare and make a buzz of what could’ve been different. Plus, as a viewer I cannot get rid of the feeling that this was all done to get more money from sales, hence they don’t give a shit about the story anymore but try to put more events into movies to satisfy fans and please their desires. 


   This is probably the reason I love indie movies more. They never make anything like that. They give birth to one single movie, make it look weird/ unfinished/ disturbing/ unexplained, through it to the audience and just let it be there. This is a genuine authenticity to be left with something that has no continuation or explanation. It just is what it is, one of a kind, whether you like it or not.


Q12. If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


DS: Perhaps Wax Tailor’s Tales of the forgotten Melodies – the whole entire album is just way too
cinematic


Q13. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


DS: My mother and my grandmother. Women in my family are the strongest women I’ve ever seen, and they brought me up the same way. Even when they disagreed with me on something, they would still let me do things to learn on my own mistakes and feel free in what I choose and decide. They always let me be whoever I want to be telling me that they are always going to be on my side no matter what.


Q14. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


DS: In a theater or on a set, working on the production of one of the plays/films. (Having my own place, thriving in healthy relationships, enjoying my life to the fullest)


Q15. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


DS: It varies. Currently I’m playing Wax Tailor on repeat. Duncan Thum is always a significant part of my evening routine/ my morning usually starts with classic Jazz.


Q16. What color speaks to you the most and why?


DS: It changes. At this point of my life, it's probably a combination of burnt orange and turquoise.
Juxtaposition of these two colors created a vision of a boat floating in blue waters in my head, which gives me a sense of comfort and freshness.


Q17.What is one thing that you’re proud of?


DS: That I am my parents’ daughter and that they instilled a faith in goodness, unconditional love for everyone, and forgiveness in me.


Q18. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

DS: “Today is another day that will contribute to THE STORY. Make the most out of it.”


You can follow and support her work on

Instagram: https://instagram.com/dsincerity?igshid=zcvryquemla3

And you can follow her work at her website: https://dsincerity.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment