Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #53: Kyle Graham returns to Q & A! 8/14/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee:  Kyle Graham


Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest as I always do, but this guest is one that I interviewed all the way back during my 2016 series of the blog. This individual is an old friend of mine since the 6th grade, and a brother. He’s a navy man, he is an entrepreneur, and most of all he is the future President of the United States . Ladies and bots, cyborgs and gents, Androids and all, please welcome to the digital realm, Kyle Graham! 


Q0. Who are your current inspirations? What's changed since the last interview from 2016?


KG: My current inspiration is family and friends but most importantly I think my inspiration comes from my fear of failure.  


Q1. How did you get into art, most notably writing?


KG:  I got into art reluctantly through (you) Anthony. I’m fascinated by the process of art and the mindset of an artist like yourself. In regards to writing I’ve always been a huge fan of writing but I think during my time In Chicago, being away from home I decided to my travels more. Especially writing  with the idea of trying to document as much as possible during my time in a city I have the utmost respect for (Chicago).


Q2. When did you take your interests in art seriously?


KG: I was fortunate enough to be part of the founding team, along with yourself that helped open up the Brooklyn Mirage back in 2015. It was around that time that I started falling In love with art, music and culture. I loved how the BK Mirage turned an old abandoned warehouse into a cultural staple in NYC within one day with palm trees and all. From there I decided that art is where you are able to be free and I love being free. 

Brooklyn Mirage Bartenders & staff 2015 pic courtesy of Kyle Graham.
Left: Neon shirt (Anthony the interviewer), The guy in the bright red shirt is Nov,
 and the guy in the dark red T-shirt is future POTUS Kyle Graham.
We are some of the Mirage Originals.



Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


KG:  Family, friends and dreams. Nothing else my man. 


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


KG:  My mom, my team (including yourself). 


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


KG:  2Pac kid. You know I’ve loved PAC for a while and outside of art and music, I think I would want to talk to him about the current state of the world today. I know Pac would have a lot to say. 


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


KG:  N/A 


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?


KG:  Man where do I start? All over Africa, Asia, and Latina America. But as you know I’ve always been homesick for California so if I had to, I’d go back to Cali. That’s where I would go or even Chicago. 


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


KG:  I use to fear death but then my mom once put me at ease and said "when you’re dead, you won’t have anything to worry about paying bills, rent etc..." so with that being said, since I don’t fear death anymore I think what I do fear is being stagnant. That’s being dead while alive... fuck that shit. 


A photo I took in 2015 when we worked a Bang On event. Kyle is in the blue.
It was always fun documenting some of the events that we worked.


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


KG: Hey Dawg, with superpowers comes super responsibilities, as it currently stands I can’t even take care of myself so I’ll hold off on the superpowers. 


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


KG: Their stoorrryyyy!! I love the story behind people, and their passions. Looks to me are secondary. 


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


KG:  It would be the same advice I’d give myself now, enjoy the journey no matter what. Enjoy the journey. 



Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and why? How did they shape you?


KG: Obama’s  Dreams From My Father, and JFK’s Profiles In Courage. It’s really only those two books. 


Q13. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


KG:  Parenthood, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Girlfriends, I can keep going. 


Q14.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


KG: You would be my preferred artist. 


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


KG: My mom, Mickey Bord my god mother and others. 


Micky Bord, also known as Marilyn Bord, the godmother of Kyle Graham. She dated the legendary Alvin Ailey and was friends with him during a time where segregation was heavily dominant. She was also a special education teacher, a seamstress, an archivist, and a community veterinarian. During that time she didn't shy away from the objections of society, and embraced change as she also inspired it. You can read about her contributions  to Alvin Ailey and her community here: https://archive.nytimes.com/query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage-9907EEDF173AF930A25756C0A9619C8B63.html




Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


KG:  I’ll be 30 years old, I hope to either be an executive at a well funded startup or an established company or in public office as an elected official. 


Brooklyn Mirage 2015 summer event photo courtesy of Kyle Graham


Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


KG:  Chris Malinchak - Wash My Soul EP, “Magic” and Nora En Pure - “Birthright” .


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


KG: Green ( money money money ). 


Q19: What is your greatest weakness?


KG:  Self doubt in myself sometimes but that’s changing. 


Q20. What is your greatest strength?


KG:  Being a man of my word, you know for a fact that you can count on me. 


Q21.What's one thing that you're proud of?


KG:  Graduating college, the navy, my family and my team.


Q22. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?


KG: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. 


Q23. What is success to you?

KG: Looking back and saying to myself thank god I did that, it wasn’t that hard, next challenge please.



2014 4th of July City Fox event that Kyle and I worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment