Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series #51: Elena Sichrovsky 8/14/19


Interviewer: Anthony Andujar Jr


Interviewee: Elena Sichrovsky


Photo courtesy of Elena Sichrovsky



Hello and welcome to the Artist Ant Interviews People Summer Series! Welcome to another edition to my latest talks with local and global creatives that are alive, hustling and thriving in their respective crafts! Today I have a special guest who I’ve had the privilege of interviewing. This individual is a writer, and a teacher, that dabbles in different mediums of writing such as poetry and fiction. Much like three other interviewees, I met this individual across the digital landscape of facebook through the Comic Pop facebook page. Both of us have a special admiration for Comic Pop and its place within youtube and the comic book industry. 


    We agree that Comic Pop is an authentic space for genuine comic book fans to tune in, laugh along and watch be it discussions or tales as told by Sal and pals. Through that page, it has fostered a respectable community of comic book fans that genuinely have thoughtful discussions, and come from various backgrounds. I must admit that she has an interesting story to tell in regards to how she got into comic books, and her approach to writing. Ladies and Avatars of the binary coded landscape of cyberspace, please welcome Elena Sichrovsky! 


Q0. Who are your inspirations?


ES: That’s a tough question! I have different inspirations for different areas of my life. There are authors whose works inspire me to write, friends who inspire me to go after my goals, family members who inspire me to stay true to who I am, and comic characters that inspire me to dream up fantastical worlds!


Q 0.1. How did you get into comic books? What was your first comic
book? 


ES: I got into comic books after watching the 2011 film “Man of Steel”. I had seen superhero movies before, but this one was the first one about Superman, and his character connected with me on a personal level. After watching the film I wanted to know more about his character and the comics about him. I saw in an interview with Henry Cavill, who plays Superman in the film, that one of the comics that inspired him for his character portrayal was Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite. I looked for that comic and, while searching for it came across the entire Superman/Batman series. I started by reading the first issue with Jeph Loeb’s story Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and that was my introduction to comics. It was the perfect combination of fun, action, and heart that got me hooked right away.


Q1. How did you get into writing?


ES: I’ve always loved writing, since I was a kid and me and my siblings wrote our own “newspaper” with fictionalized accounts of what went on in the week. We created a lot of drama out of simple events like catching butterflies in the park, it became a black ops mission of our team vs the FBI, and we wrote about the drama and excitement of chasing those butterflies vs avoiding getting tagged by our dad.


Q2. When did you take writing seriously?


ES: Not until I was about twenty-three, when I shared some of my work on a writing forum and got a lot of positive feedback saying that I should turn the short piece I’d written into a novel. I did, and I am still working on that novel today!


Q3. What drives you in your daily life?


ES: The knowledge that if I die (most likely while running a red light during rush hour) my family won’t be able to finish writing my novel properly.


Q4. What made you the person that you are today?


 ES: My parents, undoubtedly, for better or for worse.


Q5.  If you could speak to any living creator or inspiration, who would it be, why, and what would talk to them about?


ES: Jodi Picoult. She’s my favorite author ever, and I would like to thank her for inspiring me. And James Blunt, because I want to know how he manages to imbibe profound sadness into every track. Also I want him to perform at my funeral and it’s probably better if we work out the details now.


Q6. If there were any deceased creators , actors, singers, writers, etc that you would want to speak to, who would it be, and why?


ES: I would want to talk to Paul Walker and find out what really happened in the car that day. Also Michael Turner, his art is one of my absolute favorites. I first saw his art in Superman/Batman: Supergirl and I fell in love with it immediately. I would ask him to draw me as a superhero.


Q7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?


ES: Home.


Q8. What is one thing that you fear?


ES: Failure.


Q9.  If you had a superpower what would it be and why?


ES: Invisibility. I’m pretty good at it already.


Q10. What catches your attention when you meet people?


ES: What they talk passionately about.


Q11. What is one word of advice that you would impart to your younger self?


ES: Don’t be so lazy!


Q12. What are three books that you always remember or return to, and
why? How did they shape you?


ES: Second Glance by Jodi Picoult.  It was the first novel I ever bought and I’ve read it about twenty times since. I can quote parts of it, and yet every time I pick it up again I am absorbed back into that world and I can’t put it down. It is the book that made me want to write my own novel and showed me what a good story should say. I don’t have a second and third book, Second Glance overshadows everything else I’ve ever read.


Q13.  If you were to make a film, novel, or comic book based on an album, what album or artist would you pick?


ES: “Gloria Sparks” by The Lumineers. They’ve basically already made a movie narrative through the music videos for the three tracks on that album, chronicling a heartbreaking story of love and addiction and what it drives us to Become.


Q14. If you could continue or remake a movie, or franchise, what would be your film of choice ?


ES: I would continue with Zack Snyder’s vision for the DCEU.


Q15. Who In this life, has motivated you to stay true to what makes you who are?


ES: My friends and my family.


Q16. Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?


ES: A published author of a (moderately successful) novel!


Q17. What are three albums or songs currently, that you listen to on repeat? And why?


ES: “Lost Without You” by Freya Riding
        “Grow as We Go” by Ben Platt
        “If I Say” by Mumford and Sons


I’m writing my novel and there’s a lot of love and tragedy in it and these songs
put me in the mood to write about those emotions.


Q18. What color speaks to you the most and why?


ES: Black. It has a story to tell.


Q19.What is one thing that you’re proud of?


ES: My passion for writing.


Q20. What is a mantra that you tell yourself?

ES: You have to prove the haters wrong.



You can follow her work here:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/elenitasich/?fbclid=IwAR3vU3IAHOPHz3zOftpVjoNqOqr0EDmbt636gQtOBKVd-6K8itUlLauNhIA

You can read more about Elena here: https://ourlifelogs.com/2019/01/04/i-am-who-i-am/?fbclid=IwAR3vU3IAHOPHz3zOftpVjoNqOqr0EDmbt636gQtOBKVd-6K8itUlLauNhIA

You can read more of her stories here as well: 

Winter Holidays- Story15- Red Snow:  https://telltalepresshorrorlibrary.blogspot.com/2018/12/winter-holidays-story-15-red-snow-by.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR2EkYrKf0eXzFphiE3_VZ8HUZLaPyWw6ZMjFfU8JMdiQDjvKyeNRYqfm04

Fiction: Forever is a Long Timehttps://www.twentytwotwentyeight.com/single-post/2019/04/12/Fiction-Forever-is-a-Long-Time?fbclid=IwAR2lLP6IrJSRZLHBW2NAusxKZT7QqjOsCZG8zcg0Fl4iKzKQzd1gDTQ63o0

No comments:

Post a Comment