Monday, October 3, 2016

Artist interview artists showcase 13 : Jamal Dundas written by Anthony Andujar Jr 4/27/16

Artist interview artists showcase 13 : Jamal Dundas written by Anthony Andujar Jr 4/27/16

Artist interview artists showcase 13 : Jamal Dundas By Anthony Andujar Jr
Conducted 2/9/16- 4/12/16
Published 4/27/16  


Q1. Was art something you stumbled upon or was it always apart of your family?
JD: I'm from Guyana originally. My older cousin always drew and I guess I was inspired by him. Other than anyone else, my mother used to teach and had illustrations and stuff.  


Q2. Who are your creative influences?  
JD: There's an artist called Andrew Bomis. He had a series of drawings like gesture drawings and stuff. Brandon Boyd (lead singer of the band Incubus) also has some solid art as well.   


Q3. Are you focused as a internal or external ?  
JD: I'd say that my art is more of a psychological thing. Essentially you have to draw what you feel. Also I use art as a stress reliever.   


Q4. Which film or franchise would you do your own interpretation, or continuation of? What would you keep? Or Change ?   
JD: I'm definitely into movies. I love titanic. So I'd say that a continuation of titanic. Years have passed and I don't think Rose has found love.


Q5. What is the most difficult part of the creative process for you?
 JD: Coming up with concepts. It can be anything that inspires me, from posters to music. I'll hear something and see if I could come up with visuals inspired by it. Painting or drawing has its issues though. It's hard when you run out of inspiration. So you try to go out of your comfort zone.  


Q6. If you could make a comic, novel, or film based on an album, which album and artist would it be and why?
 JD: I'm a big Eminem fan, anyone of his albums I would draw. He always goes in depth with his life story. So I would utilize that material for.  


Q7. If you could speak to a deceased creator, who would it be? Why? And what would you hope to discuss?   
JD: Rembrandt. I remember one time in Dennis D'Amelio's class, I saw Rembrandt's cross hatching and portraits and stuff. His style of painting has so much emotion and color. He progressively experimented as he got older. I'd ask him about how he drew mirrors. Did he draw from the top of his head? Was he that nice!?!  


Q8. If you could speak to any living creator, who would it be? What would you hope to collaborate with them on and why?
JD: Any medium? I find a lot of inspiration with Eminem a lot. His words has been therapy a lot. He's a real guy, in particular I like that. He's been through so much. I would ask him about what was it like being a white rapper in a genre that is predominantly black. Who were his influences? Was hip hop really it or was it his ex wife?  


Q9. What advice would you advise to the next generation or to your past self?
 JD: Both. For the next generation, it's cliched and simple, stay true to yourself. If you're good at something, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zones. Talk about your ex, or stuff. Everyone thinks artist's write all this happy stuff when there is a lot going on behind it. What I'd say to my past self, I was more restrictive, so I would tell myself to get out of your comfort zone and don't be afraid to say what's on your mind. When i was in High School my mother wanted me to be an engineer due to that job earning a lot of money. But money isn't everything. When I was growing up, I thought that I couldn't be an artist. To every career path, you do what you enjoy, because if you're good at it and continue in it, then things will come your way. You can be happy and still have money. It's your life, live it your way.  


Q10. What would you hope to see yourself have 30 years from now on terms of accomplishment and what would you reflect on?
JD: 30 years from now, hopefully I'm not dead, graduated college, and be an art director / film director. Just to be able to an accomplished director in the movie industry. I'd be 50 years old right? Damn! Haha. I'd hope to have a family. I don't know about you, but I want to get out of the city, live in L.A. So I could do film. I'd reflect on all the people I've met over the years, as well as this interview at 8pm at night in the painting studio of LaGuardia in the M building haha.


Q11. What era of your life would you write a book about?   
JD: Um.. middle school. High school isn't like the movies in terms of living in the city. I'd say middle school because of girlfriends, lost a friend who passed away, etc. A lot of stuff I reflect on the past and draw from it.


 Q12. What do you feel as an artistic medium best represents you?
JD: For a while writing, but then in a way, it's kind of easy. But I'd say illustration because not only does it feel normal, but it feels right and it's the basics for me. In terms of painting, well, I'm getting there.   


Q13. What character in various forms of fiction do you feel represents or reflects you ?  
JD: in fiction? Oh, have you seen the show Prison Break? Michael Scofield. I always try to help people no attest what. He goes above and beyond to help his brother in the show. I'd say I draw that from him. In terms of film, I'd say Jim Carrey character in Yes Man. It's so hard to say no.


 Q14. What is your biggest flaw?  
JD: In art? I'm not as expressive. I'm always restrictive. In life, be more open to things. If you stay in your comfort zone , you'll end up stuck there forever, never growing.


Q15. If you had a superpower what superpower would it be and what would you use it for?
JD: The power of persuasion, why? Because I could be able to get out of any situation.

Closing Statement:
 JD: Be you, Don't be negative , think positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment