Monday, October 3, 2016

Artist interview Artist Showcase 3: Antonio Clark by Anthony Andujar Jr 1/12/2016

Artist interview Artist Showcase 3: Antonio Clark by Anthony Andujar Jr 1/12/2016


Artists interview Artist series by Anthony Andujar Jr.


Interviewee: Antonio Clark  


Q1. What was it like growing up in Baltimore?  
AC: It was hard because it wasn't celebrated in the inner city reading X-men comics haha. I wanted to be an astronaut since I was 12 years old but I changed my mind due to getting really good with art. But compared to back then, these modern times offer a lot of opportunity to do stuff such as connecting with artists and sharing art. Growing up in urban communities who aren't too open minded to that sort of material wasn't that easy, but gradually over time it would eventually become more acceptable.  


Q2. You served in the Army for a few years. How did the military shape you in addition to your art?  
AC: Hmm. It didn't shape my art at all. I thought of myself as a pretty okay person but the military taught me what it meant to wear integrity when no one else would. With my art I apply the focused drive in terms of drawing when no one else is. While the military didn't shape my art , it did do tattoos. I tend to cringe at my old work, but like the military, I utilize the focus gained from that to keep the drive.  


Q3. Was art always apart of your family tradition? How did you stumble upon it?  
AC: Comics & video games is how I got into art. I started drawing at 8 years old and kept at it since. If I haven't mentioned it before, I was the black sheep in the family. Art has always been a gateway for me as it does for everyone else.  


Q4. When did you take art seriously?  
AC : I started taking art seriously at 14. I met my friend Chris which you remind me of him. We used to call each other Ken and Ryu from the Street Fighter game series. Reason being is due to the fact that we were always in competition each other. I was like Ken, the outgoing guy , and Chris was like Ryu, the introvert guy. During that time , at 14 was when I decided to pursue art seriously.  
Ant A: it's funny, I also had a friend named Chris. His name was Chris K. Brown who I used to have drawing competitions back then in 2006. I was 11 years old and at the time, Chris and I would see each other as Ironman and Captain America (due to Millar & Mcniven's Civil War Marvel Comics event at the time). It's pretty cool that you an I who basically have a common name had a friend who basically shared the name Chris, who happen to be pivotal to our development as illustrators.  


Q4. What was it like transitioning from high school to college or the military ?  
AC: It was a smooth transition and that's because I see myself as a chameleon. When someone puts something in front of me, I do it. I've got to pay bills and stuff. I've literally done almost everything, I've been a solider, a shoe salesmen, among other occupations. So making the transition was easy for me. I thank God for that. The hardest thing is working for myself. What I'm trying to do is make a machine. Dunkin Donuts is a machine, they sell the same thing everyday. I'm trying to do the same thing. If people like Pokemon, My Little Pony, Steven Universe, then I can deliver. Superheroes? I'll deliver that! I've gotta be a Machine ya know? That's why McDonald's is a machine. It's about making everything from here on out for my brand aka Machine. I look at my brand as a machine because machines tend to be an ever changing thing. A machine can be reliable, it's meant to do what it's made for. Cranking out content is what I want to keep doing. With that mindset alone, is why I was able to transition smoothly.  


Q5. What's the first set of drawings that your remember creating as a child?  
AC: It was drawings of Megaman. My cousin and I would try to make new characters. We would make our own Megaman characters. I remember that vividly.  


Q6. Who are your illustrative influences ?
AC: My biggest influences are Mike Wieringo (Fantastic Four, The Flash), Pasqual Ferry( Ultimate Fantastic four), Todd Nauck (Young Justice) , Jim Lee (X-men , Batman), Marc Silvestri (Wolverine, The Darkness, Witchblade), and Scott McDaniel ( Nightwing, Daredevil, Batman). These guys can draw anything and have unique styles. Geoff Johnson (Way of the Rat) is another illustrator that influenced my work as well.


Q7. If you were to make a comic about an album, which album would you make a comic based on?  
AC: It would be Discovery by DaftPunk. It's that easy.  


Q8. How did you get involved in art /comics as a career goal/path?  
AC: it was something that I loved and people paid me for it. I started making money when Disney's Aladdin and the Lion King was released at the time. That was it, that's when I was hooked from there and pursued it.  
Q9. If you were to make a comic based on a fruit, which fruit would you choose? Why? And what would be the premise?
AC: it would be Kiwi fruit. It looks weird but taste sweet. I would make it a rugged kiwi warrior who would save his princess and his people. He would peel his enemies but would be sweet to his loved ones.
Ant A. :You heard it here first people!  


Q10. If there was a comicbook character that you would like to work on, who would it be? What would you keep and change in your interpretation of the character?  
AC: I would like to work on Superman. I would take away the bravado that he has because people feel inferior and don't like that aspect about him. I would make his stories set in space or make stories that focused more on him. Basically Superman needs to get off earth because would have better battles ! It's like Dragon Ball Z in terms of the fact that Superman would have to leave the city because you can only fight with that kind of power for so long until people die due to all that destruction.  
Ant A: you heard it here first folks!


Q11.If you could compare yourself to a comic/ cartoon character of any medium, who would it be? How do you relate to the character of choice?
AC: It would be Spider-Man. Reason being because "With great power comes great responsibility"! I want to be able to do what I was meant to do. No one wants to slave their life away yet at the same time I have to do what I got to even if I don't want to. I can create things larger than life yet I'm a regular guy. I may not fight villains but I always worry about rent and life itself. Believe me, I used to try to climb walls and it never worked out. I guess that's how I relate to him.


Q12. If you could do your own continuation of a film series, what film would it be? Why? And how would you handle the concept?
AC: I would probably do Forrest Gump. It's my fave movie that feature real actors in it. Because of all the things that Forrest went through , I would have his son take part in his own adventures that mirrored his father's. I would have him go through the Iraq war, and have him go to the AIDS rally. It would be a lot and cause a lot of feels haha.  
Ant A: In all honesty, I'm surprised and pleased with that film of choice and your take on it. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!


Q13. 30 years from now how would you like to see your work be remembered?  
AC: that's pretty easy. I want my work to be remembered as content that people enjoy and have a life in them. That's why I don't like inking because it sucks the life and energy out of my work. But primarily I'd like people to enjoy my work due to the life and energy that I hope it provokes.  


Q14. What material from other sources are you reading/watching? How does it influence your work?  
AC: in terms of tv series, Steven Universe. In terms of Reading, It's Invincible (Image Comics) by Robert Kirkman. Steven Universe still has all the emotion and I want to instill that in my work. Kirkman's Invincible series could have all kinds of violence yet despite the excessive amount of violence it still keeps the context and compliments the narrative of the story intact. It contributed greatly to the story.  


Q15. Who in the comics/ film industry would you like to work with and why?  
AC: I'd like to work with Rebecca Sugar or Robert Kirkman. I feel either or offer something that nobody offers.  


Q16. If you had a chance to speak to a deceased artist/ writer (of various mediums) who would it be? What would you discuss?  
AC: Michael Turner. I knew him. He used to talk to my friends and I. Michael Turner would know my name on a first name basis. I would ask him how did he maintain his work ethic. I was so glad to know him and kick it with the Aspen Comics guys. Truly a good dude.  


Q17: what would you advise the younger generation of artists or to your younger self?  
AC: concentrate on what you do and draw or work with a purpose. If you're good at drawing Goku, then make your own Goku and sell your work. Don't let silly things hold you down. Most of all for guys , don't waste your time one women. For the ladies, don't waste your time on men. Remember guys, for every Gwen Stacy, there is a Mary Jane.

You can find his work on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonio.clark.art/


You can also find him on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment